Discussion topic: 2 unmanged switches failed for Internet traffic at the same time

This message was authored by The+michaels This message was authored by: The+michaels

2 unmanged switches failed for Internet traffic at the same time

Internet traffic from SKY Q router through 2 unmanaged switches (one Linksys 16 port and 1 x 8 port Tplink) stopped working at same time.
My PC was going through TPLINK, no internet, and yet direct to router is no problem.. TPLINK switch lights all look normal. SKY Q internet through Linksys switch failed also, and that has a direct cable from SKY Q router.

The config has worked perfectly for a long time. Its as if some sort of automatic firmware update has killed the Internet traffic through these unmanaged switches. 

The whole point of the switches is to get Internet traffic through to different parts of the house over Ethernet cables. 

Anyone else come across something like this?

Best Answers
The+michaels
Topic Author
This message was authored by The+michaels This message was authored by: The+michaels Answer

Re: 2 unmanged switches failed for Internet traffic at the same time

Hi All,

I found the issue. It was a dodgy long cable to my garden room that rendered the internet unusable through the switches. The switches themselves are fine. 

Thanks.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@The+michaels 

Do you have Q TV as well? Often this problem can happen when the routing gets messed up between Q boxes

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by chaplic This message was authored by: chaplic

Are both switches plugged into the sky router? any chance a cable has been plugged in between both switches?

reboot the PC, can you ping the sky router?

also what does arp -a show?

The+michaels
Topic Author
This message was authored by The+michaels This message was authored by: The+michaels

Hi Jamesn123

Yes, I have Sky Q as well and that is how I first noticed the issue. That is connected to my router via  my 16 port unmanaged switch. 
I have now plugged actual cable from router to Sky Q box and it works fine, so I know cable is good.

The+michaels
Topic Author
This message was authored by The+michaels This message was authored by: The+michaels Answer

Hi All,

I found the issue. It was a dodgy long cable to my garden room that rendered the internet unusable through the switches. The switches themselves are fine. 

Thanks.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion