Discussion topic: Sky Q WiFi hotspot

This message was authored by Hala82 This message was authored by: Hala82

Sky Q WiFi hotspot

Hi, I am a sky Q customer and I have just purchased a sky Q mini box to use in my summer house that does not receive a WiFi signal from my router. 

I plan on running a cable from my existing sky Q box to the summerhouse. Will this method work and would the mini box act as a WiFi hotspot using this method? Thanks

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by NickNewark This message was authored by: NickNewark

Re: Sky Q WiFi hotspot

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hala82 In theory yes,  it should do. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Hala82 wrote:

Hi, I am a sky Q customer and I have just purchased a sky Q mini box to use in my summer house that does not receive a WiFi signal from my router. 

I plan on running a cable from my existing sky Q box to the summerhouse. Will this method work and would the mini box act as a WiFi hotspot using this method? Thanks

Hi @Hala82 

You cannot purchase minis as they are only rented and always belong to Sky.

Hope you have not obtained one from other sources as if you have it is potentially stolen property as all Q boxes must be returned to Sky at end of subscription.

Also you need the monthly Multiscreen subscription to use minis.

If you obtained the box from Sky and already have Multiscreen then the mini should work on Ethernet and will automatically  be a Hotspot if you are on Sky Broadband.

If on 3rd Party broadband then hotspots must be turned on in the main Q box Network advanced settings

This message was authored by NickNewark This message was authored by: NickNewark

@oldfella @Hala82And of course, yes you will need to relevant subscription, which you will have if you've requested the box from Sky. 👍

Hala82
Topic Author
This message was authored by Hala82 This message was authored by: Hala82

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I have obtained the box from sky and already have multiscreen. 

My Broadband is with talk talk. I am now out of contract and was considering moving to sky BB. 

Would there be any benefit in moving? 

@Hala82 I believe Sky have now allowed other Internet providers to use the hotspot facility on the mini boxes. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Hala82 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I have obtained the box from sky and already have multiscreen. 

My Broadband is with talk talk. I am now out of contract and was considering moving to sky BB. 

Would there be any benefit in moving? 

If your Q boxes are working to expectations @Hala82 then there is no real benefit unless the cost makes it worthwhile.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion