Discussion topic: Remote buttons sticking

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Bazza46 This message was authored by: Bazza46

Re: Remote buttons sticking

Thanks for that post, mine was flooded with oil. I used a piece of kitchen roll and now it's like new again. One thing though, there is a second screw on mine under the v shaped cover over the light so prise that off too. As many said, prising the cover off is the hardest part. Thanks again.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I followed these steps. My remote is working perfectly. Thank very much 

This message was authored by CAT-HQ This message was authored by: CAT-HQ

Thank you 

@TheJoeShow 

Just tried this solution today (9/07/2020) and it worked! IU used a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe off the oil and my remote control is working like new again.

Thank you!

This message was authored by TheJoeShow This message was authored by: TheJoeShow

I'm pleased this has worked for so many people and thanks everyone for the additional tips.....next time I'll just be cleaning it down with cotton buds or lint free cloth to see how well that works 😃👍

This message was authored by FineLady This message was authored by: FineLady

Just wanted to thank you, because I love it when the internet works like this. An annoying but small problem that has been hanging around and getting worse for ages and suddenly there’s someone thoughtfully sharing a simple solution that doesn’t involve paying for new stuff and adding to the global rubbish tip. Taking it apart and cleaning it seems so obvious, but when it’s something full of microchips and circuit boards I tend to be paralysed with fear and just replace it. I’m so pleased with the result and am now looking forward to a Friday night TV fest with my good-as-new remote control. Have a great weekend! 

This message was authored by Fergal555 This message was authored by: Fergal555

Thank you so much for advice re oil residue inside remote control. I opened my Sky Q remote and wiped down both the buttons and the circuit board with an alcohol wipe. 
Remote is like new again. Can't believe it I was just about to buy to purchase a new remote. 
Great advice and much appreciated. 
Kind Regards

Fergal555

This message was authored by Happy+Patel This message was authored by: Happy+Patel

My wife suffers with arthritis and it became painful for to use the remote. I pulled it apart, washed the silicon pad with washing up liquid and used a cotton bud to clean the circuit.  After drying put it all back and my wife can't believe how it works now! Thank you for this suggestion 😊

This message was authored by Lucy2017 This message was authored by: Lucy2017

Wow, this really works, am chuffed to bits as I was about to buy our 3rd Sky remote due to this issue.

I'm not even sure why I tried searching for a solution as I'm sure I've looked in the past and not found anything like this.

I wiped the whole of the internals with antibacterial cleaning wipes, I'm not sure if they are as effective as detergent, but they minimised the drying time down so the whole process took about 15mins.

I'm now looking at the old remotes wondering if I should clean them up so we each have our own remote!

This message was authored by P+Doff This message was authored by: P+Doff

Had a problem on mine with just the select button working intermittently (which needed to be pressed really hard to work at all). I worked out how to take the remote apart by unscrewing the small screw in the battery compartment, sliding off the tinted cover from the end and then prizing the top and bottom apart using a thin blade in the joint (starting at one end). Found the circuit board and underside of the rubber keypad soaked in an oily substance but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there. Googled sky remote problems and came across this fix so gave it a try. I used a special surface cleaner sprayed onto a paper towel and gave the keypad and circuit board a wipe. The cleaner evaporates in seconds so I snapped the unit back together straight away. Now works like new. Really pleased.

This message was authored by SFrew This message was authored by: SFrew

Another sucess story here. Opened up my remote to find an oily residue which led me to searching out the fantastic answer up the thread. Washed thoroughly in soapy water with a toothbrush as advised and towel dried both pieces with kitchen towel. After so long stuggling with the remote it now works perfectly! Thank you.

This message was authored by Craftygal This message was authored by: Craftygal

Just tried this on our Sky go remote as it was sticking and driving us around the bend. I couldn't see a screw in the battery compartment so just had a go and prised it apart. Followed the instructions in this discussion and it worked perfectly.  Thanks for the information. 

This message was authored by Russell+se This message was authored by: Russell+se

Fantastically simple. I rangSky 6 days ago for help. Many suggestions but none worked. Engineer booked (10 days waiting time). Today I found this solution and less than 5 minutes later having dried remote internals with kitchen roll working perfectly,. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Russell+se wrote:

Fantastically simple. I rangSky 6 days ago for help. Many suggestions but none worked. Engineer booked (10 days waiting time). Today I found this solution and less than 5 minutes later having dried remote internals with kitchen roll working perfectly,. 

The forum save time 🙂 Glad you found the fix here 👍

This message was authored by JoanneGard This message was authored by: JoanneGard

Good tip.  I've been having this problem and googled it and found you lot.  Thanks!  Dan.

This message was authored by Bears+Dad This message was authored by: Bears+Dad

Wow, worked for my controller too! Took it apart and it was literally swimming in oil. A good scrub with washing up liquid and then a rinse and dry followed by a clean of contacts with a rubber and my Pause button now pauses again!! 😁 That's saved me over £20 for a new one. Thanks for the tip. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion