Discussion topic: Problems with Orbi 753 and Sky Q

This message was authored by d13w93 This message was authored by: d13w93

Problems with Orbi 753 and Sky Q

Hi,

So I have Sky Q 2Tb box and three mini boxes (plus a sky booster). I also have Virgin internet and a few weeks ago bought an Orbi wireless mesh system (since the SuperHub was pretty poor).

The Orbi works fine, I have the router working and both satellites are giving great wireless speed all over the house. 

But there's a problem. Main Sky Q box (which is in the same room as an orbi satellite) will only connect to the wifi for a few minutes before disconnecting itself. I have hard wired the main Q box into the nearest Orbi satellite and hey presto all of my Q minis also then had internet access - wonderful! But, that only ever lasted a few days before the Orbi that Sky Q was wired into lost signal and came off the network. This has happened on and off for a few weeks. If I don't hardwire the main Sky Q box into that satellite then hey presto my wireless is fine, no Orbi diconnects BUT no Sky Q internet in any boxes either - hardly ideal.

The engineer I had over said the sky booster I have should stay where it's located as that's helping get the satellite signal around the house - no problem. When the Sky Q box is hard wired into the Orbi satellite the middle 'connected' light is green on the sky booster and all is well. But when the satellite disconnects that light goes off and I have no sky internet in any box (or indeed wifi at all in that part of the house until the Orbi re-connects).

I had read somewhere that I should turn off the 5ghz channel on my Sky Q box if it is hard wired into one of the satellites, is this a possible fix or will that just stop the main Q box being able to communicate with the other mini boxes around the house? Does anyone have any other ideas? Any help would be so very much appreciated! I'm sure it's Sky that is causing that satellite to crash, when it isn't hard wired in the Orbi's work flawlessly - but as I said, no sky internet services.

Thanks in advance. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Re: Problems with Orbi 753 and Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@d13w93These mesh systems always give problems with Q, unless you have Sky broadband the main box will only connect to your router on 2.4 Ghz and the boxes link to each other using 5Ghz Ch36.but will NOT connect to your home WiFi (or mesh)

Often the problem is due to both the mesh and Q both using the same 5Ghz channel. If possible move the 5Ghz channel on your router/mesh away from Ch36.

In desperation turn off the 5Ghz in your mesh/router and if it connects by 2.4Ghz everything should work OK and I doubt if you will notice the slower speed.

d13w93
Topic Author
This message was authored by d13w93 This message was authored by: d13w93

Re: Problems with Orbi 753 and Sky Q

Okay thank you I'll give that a go when I get home from work later and report back!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion