Discussion topic: Playlist FAQ / Q&A

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: Playlist FAQ / Q&A

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Trapdoor wrote

• I again cite the case of 'recording' Air Crash Investigation from National Georgaphic (a channel part of my Sky subscription) that when you select it to play out from the Playlist then takes you to the Disney+ login/subscribe page as I don't have a paid up subscription.

The guy from Leeds highlights this again in his latest video. Although the main 'Watch Now' link puts you into Disney+, the Nat Geo episode is still there, but takes a bit of finding, in the Series tabs lower down. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by BRIDGE2610 This message was authored by: BRIDGE2610

Sounds just like you'd expect on IPTV, using apps, but with the added benefit of being able to see them in one place.

This message was authored by Trapdoor This message was authored by: Trapdoor

@oj01 wrote:

@Trapdoor wrote

• I again cite the case of 'recording' Air Crash Investigation from National Georgaphic (a channel part of my Sky subscription) that when you select it to play out from the Playlist then takes you to the Disney+ login/subscribe page as I don't have a paid up subscription.

The guy from Leeds highlights this again in his latest video. Although the main 'Watch Now' link puts you into Disney+, the Nat Geo episode is still there, but takes a bit of finding, in the Series tabs lower down. 

I've just attempted to play out this afternoons episode ... if you use the 'Watch' button, it immediately takes you to Disney+ ... but as you say, go hunting for it ... not easy when there are 14 series, each with 10 episodes in and especially if you haven't noted which one it is, but you CAN find it however the presentation seems to drive you to the player to subscribe! 

Sorry Sky, the darned WATCH button should play out your current 'recording' ... how does this make it easy to navigate?

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Glass 55” in Anthracite. Two Stream Pucks. No sport or kids package!
This message was authored by silver+stream This message was authored by: silver+stream

I jave noticed this too not from playlist but search but it acts in the same way one of my kids likes to watch a program (I cant rember the name) thats on netflix when you go to serch it shows a offering with pic from one of the sky kids channels but if you scroll down instead of selecting it in then says play from netflix and play from prime (its on both) ... I didnt notice this last weekend so maybe its been tweeked!

Sky Glass 55” White
2x Pucks.
Sky FTTC 80MB
This message was authored by bdavbdav This message was authored by: bdavbdav

I can't help but think the "1000 hours" claim is what caused people (quite rightly) to draw incorrect conclusions. That makes it sound like you have your own remote storage, not just that it's pulling back shared cont by that is made available. Given that I'm sure they're not storing duplicates for each subscriber, why even stipulate 1000 hours? 

This message was authored by CBUK99 This message was authored by: CBUK99

@bdavbdav wrote:

I can't help but think the "1000 hours" claim is what caused people (quite rightly) to draw incorrect conclusions. That makes it sound like you have your own remote storage, not just that it's pulling back shared cont by that is made available. Given that I'm sure they're not storing duplicates for each subscriber, why even stipulate 1000 hours? 

Almost like it was some sort of chinese whispers at the design and spec launch.... "so we can record right?" "yes of course you can record" "how much storage?" "who knows... 1000 hours?" "yeah lets go with 1000 hours" ! 🙂

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@bdavbdav wrote:

@bdavbdav because there is 1000 hour storage for each person but there will be very few programmes that are recorded to it in the first post  in this thread (Playlist FAQ,) John does go into this 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

I thought the '1000 hour cloud recording' tag line had been dropped by Sky.....until this post.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by silver+stream This message was authored by: silver+stream

Its a pity this list isn't  included in the blurb avvalible on the main sky website 

I think most potential customers see the Add Tag Record line in the advertising and assume its just like skyQ ir a traditional pvr in that you can add anything to a planner to record it.

Thers nothing in the advertising to explain how it really works,

its not been a problem for me as we mostly stream on demand in our household and dont record much but I can see why someone who is used to recording to watch later would be disappointed  

Sky Glass 55” White
2x Pucks.
Sky FTTC 80MB
This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

The FAQ is very helpful. I know know that Sky Glass is not for us. What I would like is a Sky Puck Mark 2 that connects to my Q box and streams UHD/HDR.

This message was authored by bdavbdav This message was authored by: bdavbdav

@Laing1 - yes completely understand how / why it works, my point was more that it's misleading to suggest there's a quota for recording if a) you can't indiscriminately record and b) they're almost certainly deduplicating on the storage behind the scenes - presumably they're not storing a copy of everyone's recording of XYZ. The 1000hr suggestion as a whole is misleading. 

This message was authored by Urban+Splash This message was authored by: Urban+Splash

This will really help people to cancel or not even bother to order. For many with Q, it's a step back. 

It's frankly outrageous that Sky see fit to 'gift' free ad skipping for a year. Then it's £5. Its £5 now, but who's to say it won't be increased to £10?, £1000?  You're at the mercy of Sky regarding basic functionality.  

Overall, I'm not sure what you're paying Sky fees for with glass,apart from their actual content. It's more expensive than Q, but with less customer benefits of being a Sky customer. Well done Sky, played a blinder. Time will tell if your customers go for it. 

This message was authored by AJM1972 This message was authored by: AJM1972

@tarbat wrote:

@oj01 wrote:

I still don't understand how Sky don't have the rights to record Frasier and movies on ITV2 when I've been able to do that on my Sky+HD box for the last 20 years 

There's a big licensing difference between you recording in your home from a live broadcast for your own personal use, vs asking Sky to store a copy of the programme on their servers for commercial purposes.

It seems to me that the way round this is to allow connection of a USB drive. Inelegant, but would surely then be the same as a Sky Q box in terms of licensing. I wouldn't even mind if Sky formatted my drive with a proprietary system. 

--
Sky Glass Medium. Previously Sky Q, Sky + HD. 600Mbps Gigaclear FTTP .

that had gone through my mind too ... maybe in a future update then they could charge us an extra £10 a month to sky+ it to our own hard drive 😂

Sky Glass 55” White
2x Pucks.
Sky FTTC 80MB
This message was authored by Loubear82 This message was authored by: Loubear82

I have to say that I love the new playlist. It's such a breath of fresh air over traditional recording. 

I understand that there are diehards out there that see the loss of the hard drive and traditional recording features as a deal breaker but once you understand the genius of playlist, you realise that actually, playlist is a million times better.  

Broadcasters have built their own streaming apps and have millions of hours of content. What Sky is doing is directing you to them instead of recording programmes. This enables you to not only watch the programme you want, but it enables you to see many other programmes that you might normally have never lapsed eyes on. This is what Sky Glass is about. 

People complain that there is so much content out there and like myself, don't always come across it. Playlist amalgamates everything so that you come across many shows you might look at and think, "that looks interesting. Let's watch that". 

People have to understand that broadcasters have their own streaming apps for your pleasure. If we continue recording in the traditional sense, then to some degree, streaming apps are pointless. It's just not logical anymore to provide us with boxes with hard drives. It costs a lot of money. What's the point in having hard drives for recording when the content you want is out there on streaming apps. 

I am not hiding away from the fact that change is not always what people want. People get used to the "norm". People become accustom to what they like and see change as a step too far. The saying - if it ain't broken, leave it alone. But television is evolving. We have to move with the times. In a few years, people will become used to playlist and will look back at traditional recording as old tech. 

Older people will struggle the most. My parents for one will never understand how playlist works. But then again, they were puzzled with the Internet at first. Now, they don't see how we have ever lived without it. I don't mean any offence to older people. Far from it. Less tech savvy people always struggle with new tech. It's life. 

I love Sky Glass. Yes it has some bugs that need ironing out but I for one won't be going back to Sky Q. I love the layout of the system and it's simplicity. It looks amazing. It's really clever and will develop over time.

I really think people need to take a deep breath and give Sky Glass time and credit. It's a new product. There will always be teething problems. No new tech comes out without some sort of issues. It definitely doesn't warrant people giving Sky such a hard time. 

Sky Glass is a revolution in television. It's way ahead of anything any other service provider has to offer. Sky are pushing boundaries and we should praise them for innovation. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion