Discussion topic: I have just ordered Sky Q. I was told by the representative that I did not need Sky protect

This message was authored by Gill62 This message was authored by: Gill62

I have just ordered Sky Q. I was told by the representative that I did not need Sky protect

I currently have Sky Protect and I was told by the Sky Q representative that I did not need it because I was covered by ordering Sky Q and would be able to access 24/7 help and replacement hardware. It was one of the reasons I upgraded because I thought I would offset the cost of SkyQ by not having to pay for Sky Protect. Is this right?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: I have just ordered Sky Q. I was told by the representative that I did not need Sky protect

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gill62 

Q television boxes are loaned to subscribers (not sold like Sky+ was) so are replaced free-of-charge if they fail: the timescale for this can be somewhat variable though, and 'Sky Protect' claims to be quicker.  In theory the subscriber is responsible for the cost of repairs to dish and dish cabling after the first 12 months: in practice Sky typically don't charge, but again, 'Protect' may get a quicker response.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: I have just ordered Sky Q. I was told by the representative that I did not need Sky protect

@Gill62 

Q television boxes are loaned to subscribers (not sold like Sky+ was) so are replaced free-of-charge if they fail: the timescale for this can be somewhat variable though, and 'Sky Protect' claims to be quicker.  In theory the subscriber is responsible for the cost of repairs to dish and dish cabling after the first 12 months: in practice Sky typically don't charge, but again, 'Protect' may get a quicker response.

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@Gill62 wrote:

I currently have Sky Protect and I was told by the Sky Q representative that I did not need it because I was covered by ordering Sky Q and would be able to access 24/7 help and replacement hardware. It was one of the reasons I upgraded because I thought I would offset the cost of SkyQ by not having to pay for Sky Protect. Is this right?

• Sky Protect also covers you for accidental damage, so take care of your loaned equipment.
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by Opaque This message was authored by: Opaque

Thanks for this as I just had a "Sky Q anniversary call - with an offer on the D&G cover (not mentioning Sky protect) so it's good to know that it doesn't belong to us.

But is there anywhere official (webpage, on here, a leaflet/booklet etc) where this is stated? Would be great to have the actual line to read out to people saying otherwise. 

And to have something to follow if something does happen, who to call, etc etc.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Opaque wrote:

But is there anywhere official (webpage, on here, a leaflet/booklet etc) where this is stated?

It's in the Sky Q Contract (the current version is SKYQUK0321, as below) which I think you should have received a link to when you signed up for the service.

The agreement for the loan of Sky Q boxes
This agreement is with Sky UK Limited (Sky).
1. Sky Q boxes and any other equipment we designate as Sky-owned will remain the property of Sky or another
company in the Sky group of companies at all times (unless agreed otherwise) and are loaned to you at no cost.
Each item of equipment loaned to you from time to time is “loaned equipment”. Loaned equipment must not be
taken outside the UK unless we tell you otherwise.
2. You are responsible for keeping loaned equipment in good condition and using it properly. Whilst Sky or another
company in the Sky group of companies remains the owner, you agree to:
(a) Not misuse, neglect or damage the loaned equipment;
(b) Not tamper with or disassemble the loaned equipment or remove or obscure any labels or markings on the
loaned equipment;
(c) Follow our reasonable instructions regarding the location and placement of loaned equipment;
(d) Allow us or SHS or SSSL to make alternations to or replace the loaned equipment if reasonably required. SHS
may need reasonable access to your home to do this or we may need you to follow our reasonable instructions;
(e) Keep the loaned equipment in your home and under your control (for example, you may not sell or lend it to
anyone or use it as security for a loan);
(f ) Not dispose of the loaned equipment unless expressly authorised to do so by Sky;
(g) Take proper care at all times to prevent the loss or theft of the loaned equipment (we recommend you
insure loaned equipment against loss, theft or damage for the full replacement value); and
(h) Allow us SHS or SSSL to update the software in the loaned equipment by sending signals to it. You must
not tamper with the software in the loaned equipment or allow anyone else to do so.
3. We or another company in the Sky group of companies will repair or replace the loaned equipment at no cost to
you if it becomes faulty unless:
(a) You are responsible for the fault in which case charges for engineer servicing may apply; or
(b) We have requested that you return the loaned equipment to us and you have not done so in time.
You will be responsible for faults to loaned equipment caused by:
(a) Misuse or neglect of, or accidental or deliberate damage to the loaned equipment;
(b) Your failure to follow our reasonable instructions regarding the loaned equipment;
(c) Equipment which you own which has not been supplied by us;
(d) Tampering or disassembling the loaned equipment or the Sky dish without our consent; and/or
(e) You doing anything else which is likely to cause damage to the loaned equipment, unless this is done at our
request or on our instruction.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Opaque"Sky protect" from D&G does have some advantages, that are not included with Sky, but it entirely optional.

I am not trying to sell it to you, I cancelled mine.

It covers accidental damage and theft.

Guaranteed next day repair (small refund if they don't)

Always latest box if it needs replacing.

Can include, no extra cost, mobile phones, tablets etc.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion