Discussion topic: Can you move the puck between properties and watch sky streaming on different TVs /routers?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Can you move the puck between properties and watch sky streaming on different TVs /routers?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Aristeidis wrote:

Last but not least, using the puck as a coaster per your suggestion, if you have access or subrscription directly with any of the above streaming services you can use your Sky puck just as your own media streamer to watch content through their Apps anywhere you like from your direct subscription with them and not via Sky's so no breach of their tethered Sky services since you aren't buy any of them :-))

Nope: you're accessing those apps using the Stream interface (they are ' TV extra services ' in the language of the contract) and so the Stream T&Cs apply.

Using a Stream puck without a current Ultimate TV subscription linked to it is unrewarding, to say the least: they are too light to be decent door-stops.  The Glass television is the only device with (limited) non-subscription use.

You're trying to find loopholes, but Sky lawyers are almost certainly more expensive than yours ; )

Third party apps: Services provided by a third party which you can access using your TV services subject to agreeing separate terms and conditions with the third party (access to Third Party Apps is a TV extra service and Sky is not responsible for the content of those Third Party Apps).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by WestLondonerSW5 This message was authored by: WestLondonerSW5

Re: Can you move the puck between properties and watch sky streaming on different TVs /routers?

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@WestLondonerSW5 wrote:

But also, that was sold to us as a unique selling point which contributed to us signing up to Sky Stream, so now we want to be able to do that!

Unfortunately you were misinformed: if this makes the product unviable for you then I suggest you have a clear case for receiving a refund based on a purchase made after receiving incorrect information.

Thank you.

Can Sky find out whether I'm using my Sky Stream box somewhere else than my registered address? Considering that Netflix sometimes says my device was located in another region when I was watching from my London flat as usual, I'd assume Sky's location tracking can also be inaccurate...

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@WestLondonerSW5 wrote:

Can Sky find out whether I'm using my Sky Stream box somewhere else than my registered address?

All we can do is advise on the contractual situation:  the Sky wording is " We use data received from compatible devices and network connections you use to access your TV Services to ensure you are only using your TV Services at your address "

Realistically this is all actually intended to prevent one householder taking out a Stream subscription with Whole Home and then loaning/renting/selling five pucks to other households (which would be easy to spot as they'd inevitably end up logging multiple simultaneous IPs) but any automated system might also catch temporary migrations too.

This message was authored by Aristeidis This message was authored by: Aristeidis

What you are saying it makes no sense but seems that I can't convince you.

You are mixing up different things. Buying a streaming box and paying to access services content.

It's the same with with Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV . You don't need Apple or Amazon subscription to watch ie Netflix or BBC or Disney with their devices. Their subscription offers you access to additional content that you might or might not want to have.

Its the same with a Sky HD box, since you own it if you stop you Sky subscription you can still use it to watch free content.

Of course you are free to use all the above for door stops 😉

I'm a lawyer by the way..

@Aristeidis wrote:

It's the same with with Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV . You don't need Apple or Amazon subscription to watch ie Netflix or BBC or Disney with their devices. Their subscription offers you access to additional content that you might or might not want to have.

Very true, but a Sky Stream puck is neither of those devices, has zero functionality without a current Sky subscription, and is subject to the Stream T&Cs for both Sky  'TV services' and non-Sky apps ('TV extra services').  If you stop paying Sky there is no access to non-Sky apps (or any other functionality) on Stream or Glass pucks: the exception to this is on the Glass television as long as the hardware remains linked to the original Sky account.

You might not like it (and neither do I) but this is currently the situation: it's within the gift of Sky to change things if they see fit.  How Apple and Amazon choose to run their own businesses and host other companies apps on their branded hardware is up to them.

@Aristeidis wrote:

Its the same with a Sky HD box, since you own it if you stop you Sky subscription you can still use it to watch free content.

Yes: that's specific to Sky+ and was never the case for Sky Q.  As Sky+ HD never hosted apps the issue of continuing access to those outside of an ongoing Sky subscription doesn't arise.

@Aristeidis wrote:

You are mixing up different things. Buying a streaming box and paying to access services content.

That's exactly my point: with Stream this is the same thing.

The only functionality of a Stream puck is to provide a platform for delivery of  ' TV services ' and ' TV extra services ' as defined by Sky, which is presumably why they choose to use that very specific wording in the Stream contract.

This message was authored by pjtaylor This message was authored by: pjtaylor

I assume Sky Go on an Apple TV has the same conditions as it is part of Whole Home?

@pjtaylor 

Nope: Go has always been specifically intended to be 'portable' (and really the only component which is)  Whole Home is the subscription element required to enable its use, but that doesn't extend Glass/Stream T&C's to Go on Apple TV or any other device.

This message was authored by Mark-Br This message was authored by: Mark-Br

@WestLondonerSW5 wrote:

When signing up for Sky Stream last month at the Battersea Power Station Sky Store, one of the USPs the sales agent bragged about was that you can take the box wherever you want in the UK (he even gave the example to take it with us to our friends' place if they don't have Sky). This is something my partner and I were really excited about as we often travel for work. 

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing this.

I just wanted to confirm that the advice described above is not something that should be recommended. 

Mark
Community Manager

This message was authored by Ed.B. This message was authored by: Ed.B.

The restriction on usage away from your registered address is different to every other streaming service on the planet, and was not explained at point of sale.

Given that you cant watch multiple streams if you only have one puck I'm going to take mine wherever I need it and watch the programmes I'm paying for. 

And anyway, as far as I know, I have not even received a contract, let alone signed one. 

I'm perfectly happy to have this argument with sky if they detect a different IP address and try to charge me extra.

@Ed.B. wrote:

I'm perfectly happy to have this argument with sky if they detect a different IP address and try to charge me extra.

Have fun with that ; )

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-terms-and-conditions 

This message was authored by Jayboy1990 This message was authored by: Jayboy1990

The glass terms and conditions do state that where you may have breached the terms of use they provide seven days for you to put the issue right. 

So playing dumb the first time may well wash, but it could end up with a monitoring flag on the account maybe. 

——————————————————————————————————

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*
I help out where I can in the Sky Glass forum, maybe a superuser but not a sky employee.

Sky glass 55”Anthracite - Stand mounted - Ethernet

Virgin media broadband 350mbps
Sky mobile - iPad and iPhone 13 pro max
Plenty of Apple tech

@Ed.B. 

As noted above, this is really intended to prevent blatant misuse through splitting a single Whole Home subscription between multiple households, but the wording of the T&Cs doesn't distinguish between different use cases. 

This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

If you use it at another address, and no one is using another puck/Glass TV at home, they may just think you have a dynamic IP address and it has routinely changed. But, if you are using it at both addresses at the same time, it would be pretty easy for an automated service to pick up that your account is accessing contect from 2 different IP address and therefore, most likely 2 addresses.

No matter the case, it's against the T's and C's, just pointing out that 1 IP at a time may not get noticed, nor may they care, as long as you're not sharing a whole home subscription with another household.

@ChrisC29 wrote:

But, if you are using it at both addresses at the same time, it would be pretty easy for an automated service to pick up that your account is accessing contect from 2 different IP address and therefore, most likely 2 addresses.

Exactly ;

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion