Discussion topic: Broadband Nightmare

This message was authored by sailormads This message was authored by: sailormads

Broadband Nightmare

For several weeks our broadband has been a total nightmare.  It's slow and drops out regularly.  It happens on all devices but is worse on mobiles, to the point that I've run out of mobile data because the wifi isn't reliable enough to use at home.  Streaming TV is slow, everything is slow to load and sometimes it disappears altogether.  I've tried turning everything off and on again, resetting network settings to no avail.  We've been with sky for years and had no problems until now.  Any help would be hugely appreciated!

sailormads_0-1646212583010.png

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

sailormads
Topic Author
This message was authored by sailormads This message was authored by: sailormads

Re: Broadband Nightmare

Router stats.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@sailormads 

You are on 66Mbps and your line has been solid for close to 28 days indicating the drops are on wifi and not external. I do notice you are on a very old dinosaur of a router with just a 2.4ghz wifi which is prone to interference.  Call sky on 150 from your landline or
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone to request the er115 dual band router if you are still in contract it should be free

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
sailormads
Topic Author

Thanks, I'll do that now and let you know how I get on!

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@sailormads 

In addition your line attenuations indicate you should easily get 80Mbps so it may be slightly underperforming. Can you run tests on my sky app and post the info in more about your connection

PS any diffs with ordering the router ie they try to charge you get back to us

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

sailormads
Topic Author

Thanks, they gave me the option of a new router for £39 or Sky Boost for £5 a month and a £10 admin fee.  I think the Boost option sounds better - if it doesn't solve the problem I can cancel within the 2 week cooling off period.

Any thoughts?

This message was authored by RG90 This message was authored by: RG90

@cookiemonsteruk 

How do you know which router he's using ?

Also how come he can't get the SR203 router for free ? Don't sky supply them when you sign up with a contract 🙄

@RG90 

The stats just show a single 2.4ghz wifi band. All routers now are 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Sky will send out the sr203 for fttc sogea and fttp as the phone is on the hub

Otherwise you need to upgrade to broadband boost at £5 pm to get the sr203

sailormads
Topic Author

*she

According to Sky I bought the router when I first got it. They don't do that any more, they loan them.  But then actually I don't understand why I would have to pay for the router if it's loaned now...

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sailormads wrote:

But then actually I don't understand why I would have to pay for the router if it's loaned now...

Because Sky have decided to generate an additional revenue stream that way.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion