Discussion topic: What has happened to Sky?

This message was authored by snes This message was authored by: snes

What has happened to Sky?

I don't need help today, just giving air to a few observations. Maybe others can chip if they agree/disagree?

I wouldn't describe phoning Sky at contract renewal time as being one of my fun activities, but has generally been a fairly productive exercise in keeping ones subscription down to sensible levels.

I would invariably get through to a cheerful person in, say, Cardiff or Newcastle who would trade pleasantries with me while talking me through all my possible options. I would then get the best offer for me emailed, so I could study it in a more relaxed fashion and then respond.

Compare that to my recent renewal call.

First thing you notice after the menu items have been chosen, is the dreaded click to tell you that your call has now been transferred to Another Place. A far away place. Possibly the Indian sub continent. Confirmed when a foreign voice picks up the call. I've got the dreaded offshore call centre!

The Sky contact has impeccable english but the accent, intonation and speed of speech make it hard for me to follow the various offers being described. And the details are no longer emailed for home perusal - you have to say there and then if you want to take up the offer. Then you are straight into a new contract.

Reviewing my new contract the next day, I realised that I had been mis-sold a Cinema subscription, so I had to get back to Sky to hopefully sort the issue out.

I wouldn't say that any of this was a particularly pleasant experience - Sky were renowned for their excellent customer care and support as well as UK call centres. And I found the lack of forwarding contract details before committing to be very poor indeed.

Is this the new Sky? Is this how things are going to be, going forward? Please, feel free to share.....

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: What has happened to Sky?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

https://www.ft.com/content/76970a84-12d6-4752-b917-23b9f6a49437

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by k_henson This message was authored by: k_henson

I  agree totally, and was past from pillar to post, while trying to get my issue resolved. Still not resolved, so need to do it all again!

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

In my honest opinoin it was to be expected once Comcast took them over.

Likely the offshore call centre is at least providing the same service for all of Comcast's products/services which wouldn't exactly help the wait times,

I completely agree with the experience. Initially i went offshore for a renewal quote abotu a month ago, where they tried to flog me Sky Glass (which i told them i didn't want a Sky TV), but i did ask about a quote for Sky Stream as i was interested if the price was right. Thankfully the offshore call centre apparently can't quote for Stream so i was transferred over to the UK call centre and had a delightful and really helpful conversation with someone who basically ran through all the renewal options and quotes again and was explaining absolutely everything.

Much like most US Media companies at the moment, Comcast need to save a lot of money and cut a lot of costs, so changing the Skk customer services doesn't surprise me one bit. Even the quite rapid switch to a streaming service (launching it before it was read for customers) doesn't surprise me as the streaming system is a lot cheaper for Sky to run and would have a higher profit margin than the traditional satellite system.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Something has definitely changed in the last few months, I have to contact Sky somewhat regularly on behalf of a couple of elderly neighbours and it's usually been straight forward with issues sorted quickly, but now it's a real chore as the agents just don't seemed interested in helping and only want to try to upsell or get off the call quick when they realise it's not going to happen.

I haven't been a customer myself for a while and was giving serious thought to returning but the recent customer service experience stops me dead from doing so.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Its complete potluck, if you know how to game the automated system a bit, and you have an idea of what departments are only UK based, its is possible to avoid the offshore general customer services team. 

But you really shouldn't have to do that.

What is really stupid is confusing people on the automated call. They constantly refer to people checking online first before speaking to someone. Now I think what Sky are trying to do it actually refer people to their online help documentation, which is pretty good if you know where to go. Instead people just end up on this forum thinking they are speaking to Sky customer services as opposed to fellow customers offering opinions and advice.

I think Sky needs to be clearer to people calling and actually point them to the help part of their website, which in fairness does answer about 80-90% of the questions and queries people post on here.

Its a pretty bad sign when customers have to rely on other customers knowledge to get answers or being pointed in the right direction. Its not that difficult to improve their online documentation, make is more visible and accessible for people and then try and point them to that first.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

snes
Topic Author

Thank you everyone for sharing!

Your responses tend to confirm that my experience was not unique.

I know that back in the day we used to gripe a bit about Murdoch's Sky, but deep down I think we appreciated his offering and appreciated his attention to customer service.

Again, thanks.

snes
Topic Author

I've just been tidying up my old Sky correspondence (aka shredding) but it was revealing to re-read some of the letters!

For example, after deciding to take up a new contract offer, I received a  lovely letter setting out my rights, including telling me that, if not happy with my new contract, I had 31 days to get in touch to change it. Needless to say, I never did, because any new offers had been emailed previously to be either accepted or rejected.

And I also received a lovely letter from the Chief Exec (ok, not personally, but you get the drift) thanking me for re-contracting and staying with Sky.

Perhaps it was this level of service and attention that made my recent experience (at the start of this thread) seem so poor.

This message was authored by Chris+J+M This message was authored by: Chris+J+M

Also just had this - and quite disappointed with the result. My monthly bills nudged £90 last year and have now gone through to £100 which is when I promised to shop around. I used to be able to have a sensible conversation about my requirements and  renewal. Now no-one really seems willing or able to discuss. 

I've been with Sky over 20 years - top tier loyalty member - but no longer feel like a valued customer. Such a shame 

This message was authored by Kinglouie This message was authored by: Kinglouie

I just rejoined sky after leaving a couple of years ago. Been with them for a month and have already instructed them to cancel my contract and refund every penny they have taken. 

Sky promised to reimburse me for the cost of cancelling my contract with BT and signing up with them immediately. When I sent the BT invoice I was asked to provide a copy of my bank statement. Not wanting them to have access to all of the details on the statement I redacted the it's they didn't need to see. 

In a nutshell, Sky have refused to pay the cost of leaving the BT contract a month early, despite assuring me they would. I complained and got nowhere so I instructed them to cancel my contract and refund all monies paid. They ignored this and asked me for the documents they already have.

I have replied and demanded cancelation of my contract and a refund. Waiting for a response but not holding out much hope.

This message was authored by Chalk+Serpent This message was authored by: Chalk+Serpent

Customer service from Sky has definitely gone downhill since Comcast bought them. I don't blame the staff themselves, they're probably pressured to act like that. However since they've been like this I've completely cancelled Sports, Cinema, 4 x mobile sims and end of next week will give cancellation notice for Signature. I'm not even attempting to haggle, I shall use fta TV, streaming etc. I also know and have read about Sky customers who arrange a deal for their tv package and then the bill is for more and Sky aren't interested. I just can't be bothered with them anymore. I can only assume enough people stay with them and end up paying more because they're put off phoning to arrange a new contract or cancel. 

This message was authored by Antmos This message was authored by: Antmos

I had a very similar experience. I called to see if my package could be reduced. I was told I could get a further £5 discount. I stressed that I didn't want it to affect my contract end date only to be told absolutely it wouldn't. Guess what? I then got an email from sky noting my change of contract for a further 18 months. It also said I could change this within 30 days. I called to cancel this only to be told it couldn't be cancelled! I think part of the issue is a language barrier with India. What happened to the U.K. call centres? There were much better!

This message was authored by Chalk+Serpent This message was authored by: Chalk+Serpent

Try phoning again to cancel, if you still get nowhere email them. Too many customers are getting caught in contracts different to what they were told. You'll get price increases in the 18months as well so won't save anything long term. 

This message was authored by Antmos This message was authored by: Antmos

I have phoned and emailed and still got nowhere. If there was anywhere else to go I would leave but I like what I get with sky, I have been with them for 17 years. It's just the price that gets me. 

I don't understand people who have issues with Sky but will pay anything to stay with them. That's why they can get away with charging incorrectly. Also if within the 30 days of the new contract you can cancel, if it's over that then you can't. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion