Discussion topic: Terminating Contract

This message was authored by Jo246 This message was authored by: Jo246

Terminating Contract

Hi,

After 3 unsuccessful and extremely frustrating phone calls to Sky this evening, I thought I'd try here for a bit more sense!!

An existing Sky customer, I set up new TV and Broadband contracts at the end of December 2022. As of today I'm still within the 31 day cooling off period. So today I phone to exercise my right to change my mind and cancel the new Broadband contract and return to previous charge. The reason being because I can now get full fibre via another provider (not available through Sky) which I plan to do next month. So I don't want to be tied in to an 18 months contract.

This presented several problems:

1) They didn't know how to do this (shouldn't be my problem), eventually got transferred to someone else

2) They said that me cancelling my new broadband contract would mean my Sky TV price would go up - my point was that was a separate contract but they say the price offers are linked. I wasn't told, nor do the contracts say this from what I can see.

3) As they said the out of contract price would be about +£40/mth, I asked what the early termination fee would be if I cancelled next month (which would be month 2 of an 18 month contract). I was told around £30 but I'm dubious of this based on the wording of the contract.

What would the early termination charge be.....more than £30 I'm guessing?! My contract Broadband is £20/month.

if it was only £30, it'd be better terminate than use the cooling off but I think I've been given incorrect information by Sky. I don't want to risk coming out the cooling off period whilst I have legitimate right to cancel and be left with a much higher termination charge!!

Think I'm going to have to call again tomorrow but would be helpful to get a steer on the early termination charge.

thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Terminating Contract

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If you went past the cooling off period then usually Sky would want the contract to be paid off so it would be more than the £30 they quoted as it would be the remaining months multiplied by how much you would be paying per month as per this:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early

The only slight issue is this here:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv

The right to cancel within your cooling off period doesn't apply if you asked for your TV service to be made available during this period.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Jo246
Topic Author

Thanks. That's what I also read the termination fee to likely be hence my suspicion of the £30. I did ask the bloke twice and he looked it up based on a date and said around £30. Mind you unless it was 'bring your family to work day' he was clearly wfh (which isn't an issue, I do the same) and had a LOT of distraction and noise around him as I could hear them more than him! Funnily enough when I asked his name for reference at the end of the call the line mysteriously dropped. 🤷🏽‍♀️

What do you mean about the TV contract issue. I could surely cancel both in cooling off if I had to?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jo246 wrote:

What do you mean about the TV contract issue. I could surely cancel both in cooling off if I had to?

That is something to ask Sky about when you call them again.

If they do let you cancel then your equipment needs to be returned as per this:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/return-tv-broadband

You can use your own packaging and can print your own label via that link if you want.

Make sure you get and keep proof of posting when sending this off.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Jo246
Topic Author

Will have to see when I ring again - hopefully will reach someone more competent than the 3 people I spoke to on the phone tonight.

The cooling off terms in my contract email say I'd be reverted back to the package/tariff pre contract so hopefully I can do that then take out a new contract just for the TV package.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion