Discussion topic: Tv license

This message was authored by Solarinde1 This message was authored by: Solarinde1

Tv license

Hi all, just wanted to ask if I need a tv license using sky

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Tv license

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Solarinde1 

A TV Licence covers you to:

Watch or record TV on any channel on any TV service (like Sky, Virgin Media and Freeview).

Watch live on streaming services (like ITVX, All 4, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video).

Use BBC iPlayer

This applies to any device, including a TV, computer, laptop, phone, tablet, games console or digital box.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Solarinde1 

If you never watch any television content live through the EPG (or online), record from the EPG for later viewing or consume BBC content directly from the BBC at all then technically you may not: use of Sky as an on-demand platform only is not necessarily licensable as long as no BBC-on-demand content is consumed.

It is, however, somewhat harder to convince TV Licensing that this is the case where there's a Sky subscription in place.

Solarinde1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Solarinde1 This message was authored by: Solarinde1

@TimmyBGood @Many thanks for your feedback. I don't want a tv license, as I don't watch these. I watch football highlights as I got streaming park but I don't download or watch bbc. I have tried to reach sky to check with them but no response. I have got a letter from tv license to get one. I am new to sky, don't want a tv license. What f do o you advise please 

@Solarinde1 

I am not a lawyer, and the nuances of such issues are best discussed elsewhere.

On a factual basis, if you believe that your viewing behavior does not require there to be a licence covering your address then you can declare this to be the case with TV Licensing (and be prepared to defend that declaration if required)

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence 

Solarinde1
Topic Author

Ok. Thanks 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

You need not declare anything with TVL, you don't do this with other services you don't need or use

If you're following the rules you can ignore all letters and visits from their sales people

@Annie+UK 

I did say 'can' ; )

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Annie+UK 

I did say 'can' ; )

Doing so, in some cases it does not even stop the sale people visiting, it just validates your address with the BBC so they can pester you in the future 😞

IMO it's in peoples best interest to totally ignore them 🙂

Solarinde1
Topic Author

@Annie+UK .Thanks

This message was authored by RobertS83 This message was authored by: RobertS83

As long as you dont watch any live channels through the tv guide and just watch catch up instead of watching channels, you are good. 

If you watch any live channels (not nessecarily the BBC channels) you would need a TV licence.

It used to be just BBC channels but the tories have changed this since they have been in power since 2010.

Sky Stream with Sky Ultimate
EE Full Fibre 500 Broadband
Fire TV Cube
Xbox Series S
Roku Streambar

@RobertS83 wrote:

As long as you dont watch any live channels through the tv guide and just watch catch up instead of watching channels, you are good. 

iPlayer use on any device, whether live or on-demand, is also licensable

It used to be just BBC channels but the tories have changed this since they have been in power since 2010.

I'd dispute it was a party political thing: the arrival of 'live' television via non-broadcast technology (i.e. streaming) required a reinterpretation of the relevant legislation which long pre-dates internet speeds fast enough to do so.

Solarinde1
Topic Author

Thanks 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion