Discussion topic: Tennis on sky in 24

This message was authored by Martym890 This message was authored by: Martym890

Re: Tennis on sky in 24

@WilliamBoyd 

Agree with you but I would note Wimbledon could also sell the rights to ITV or C4 and still meet the free to air requirements.They aren't obliged to provide online catch up or match rewind options via the iplayer but they do. As to Discovery/Eurosport and as did Amazon.

The problem with Sky is they do not and cannot off a catch up or on demand service for any sport - not just tennis. So if you miss a match you can never ever watch it in full again - and as they aren't offering multi court you can't even watch the majority of matches live either as you can on tennis tv or until last month Amazon prime.

Until Sky realise its 2024 not 2004 their coverage can never and will never deliver what the other broadcasters do or did for tennis. The fact you will be able to watch 3 weeks of the AO including qualifies and all court coverage for £7 on discovery+ but have to pay a minimum of £35 to watch one linear match on one channel on Sky - live only - with no choice if you don't like the match they picked. 

And I expect we are stuck with this until 2029! It's clearly working for someone but not tennis fans?

This message was authored by WilliamBoyd This message was authored by: WilliamBoyd

@Martym890 Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. And that's right about Discovery+. Great value.

This message was authored by RichAA1 This message was authored by: RichAA1

I am not going to profess to be knowledgeable about technology but is it because Prime Video is fundamentally a streaming service and Sky isn't that we can't have catch up or on demand? Although how does Sky movies work, isn't that on demand?

It seems to me that Sky needs to rethink its platforms for tennis and move with the times, otherwise it will lose a lot of custom.

This message was authored by Martym890 This message was authored by: Martym890

@RichAA1 

It's of course possible technology wise - but Sky sports do not offer on demand or catch up as an option for any sport. They don't do it for rugby or football either despite the prices charged.

And if they don't do it for premiership football  they aren't going to start now for tennis.

I think people just have to accept this and move on - because Sky aren't going to change it just for tennis.

At least tennis tv are an option for the ATP and Sky don't have the rights for 3 of the four slams. So you must looked at the positives!

@Martym890 

Thanks, it's such a shame then as a WTA fan that I don't have access to the WTA equivalent of tennistv.  I am not interested in other sports and if this is all we have for tennis fans in the UK, it's a travesty. I am very grateful we have the other 3 slams outside of Sky so I'll get to see some of the players I want to watch, when I want to watch them.

This message was authored by smstyles This message was authored by: smstyles

I've emailed the WTA (Removed) and told them how dreadful the coverage is and what a loss it is for the WTA. I'm sure it's hopeless since apparently we should just be happy we can watch three slams elsewhere (wow, yay eyeroll), but maybe they could at least change the geoblocking (Removed)

Moderator note: Removed third party links

This message was authored by tennisfan This message was authored by: tennisfan

I've just purchased tennis tv because sky's offering was not going to be any good for me... Just a note to say that if you are watching  this via Android TV or Amazon fire stick, both of which I have, tennis tv have a 'known issue' posted to say that rewind and fast forward does not work with these two devices. So if on demand matches, which are what we all want during the Australian season, and you don't have time to watch all the matches you want to watch, then you can't fast forward or go back. The only way I can do this is to cast my tablet screen to my TV and go backward and forward on that. Not quite what I expected for £99.99.

Also if you implement the 'spoiler function' which is a great idea (it hides the timeline and the scores so that it doesn't give the match outcome away), you can't of course go backward and forward in a video because you would need to see the timeline for ,that.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

For anyone recording tennis through the night, please be aware that the recording will stop at 6am. You need to also record the programme that starts at 6am to get the full coverage.

This has always been a quirk in live sports events that straddle 6am.

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Martym890 wrote:

@WilliamBoyd 

The problem with Sky is they do not and cannot off a catch up or on demand service for any sport - not just tennis. So if you miss a match you can never ever watch it in full again - and as they aren't offering multi court you can't even watch the majority of matches live either as you can on tennis tv or until last month Amazon prime.

Sky do offer a full race On Demand for F1, so they are capable of it. 

Full On Demand football replays used to happen too several years ago but was dropped and replaced with highlights due to the relatively low number of downloads it got. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by NYA42924 This message was authored by: NYA42924

Sky is disgraceful to say the least and I don't think they care.

This message was authored by NYA42924 This message was authored by: NYA42924

Well I have to turn to YouTube to watch highlights unfortunately but as for Sky sport subscription it's cancelled.

This message was authored by Shannon36 This message was authored by: Shannon36

The problem is you have to have a sky subscription first and then add on the tennis channel, I don't want a sky subscription, all I want is to watch the tennis like I did on Amazon Prime that doesn't cost the earth, total rip off, very unhappy at the moment...

This message was authored by Ana17 This message was authored by: Ana17

Re: Tennis coverage brisbane

There is no red button  !

This message was authored by smstyles This message was authored by: smstyles

I'm sure this will not do anything but I emailed the WTA today (at the feedback email on their website) and stated what a bad experience the sky experience was stacking up to be and how watching WTA in the UK was basically impossible legally. Grasping at straws, but I'm not just going to live without women's tennis for the next five years.  

@smstyles 

I have considered emailing the WTA as well, what we have now in the UK is no way of following our favourite WTA players. I miss Prime. I'd be watching all of the women's matches! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion