Discussion topic: Tennis on sky in 24

This message was authored by ozsat This message was authored by: ozsat

Re: Tennis coverage brisbane

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Most likely on Red Button on the Brisbane coverage.

@WilliamBoyd wrote:

@Ana17I rejoined Sky Sports to watch the US Open. I closed my Amazon Prime account when I saw Sky had acquired the ATP/WTA rights, but it does look as if Sky's coverage is going to be very limited as you say.

A good test will be the Raducanu comeback at Aukland scheduled for 03:45 tonight. Sky has said it will broadcast this live but I don't see it in the schedules. 

My fear is that Sky simply doesn't have the resources to air these events it has acquired, to the detriment of individual players like Raducanu and to British tennis as a whole.

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 2TB with UHD/HDR + two minis) in Sky region #71 (Oxford) using VirginMedia Gig1 Fibre (1.2Gbps/100Mbps).

This message was authored by WilliamBoyd This message was authored by: WilliamBoyd

Re: Tennis coverage brisbane

@ozsat

Not seeing any Red Button coverage of  Brisbane at the moment. 

This message was authored by smstyles This message was authored by: smstyles

Re: Tennis on sky in 24

This is a shambles. We already had Sky Sports and added Tennis TV after the horrible US Open coverage. But that doesn't help with WTA matches which I was hoping the sky coverage would supplement. I am confused why there are two channels showing tennis right now but both are showing the same nonscensical feed. The half-set from Auckland between the Brisbane matches was odd, but at least a little WTA. I've emailed viewerR@sky.uk asking if there is any plan that will be announced or improvements made, but I fear I know the answer. 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@smstyles wrote:

This is a shambles. We already had Sky Sports and added Tennis TV after the horrible US Open coverage. But that doesn't help with WTA matches which I was hoping the sky coverage would supplement. I am confused why there are two channels showing tennis right now but both are showing the same nonscensical feed. The half-set from Auckland between the Brisbane matches was odd, but at least a little WTA. I've emailed viewerR@sky.uk asking if there is any plan that will be announced or improvements made, but I fear I know the answer. 

Sky Sports Main Event (Ch 401) is a bonus channel to Full Sky Sports subscribers which, 99% of the time, is a simulcast of one of the other Sports channels. It's main purpose is to allow pubs/businesses (as well as residential customers) to keep this channel on all day where it will switch between the various live sporting events throughout the day.

Only occasionally will it show something different, for example, where Sky are showing 3 football matches at the same time. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by Martym890 This message was authored by: Martym890

@MarkGoldsmith 

Amazon took all their multi court coverage from the world feed provided by the WTA and ATP - they weren't providing the camera crew/commentators for all those courts so it cost them nothing extra as it came with the deal offered to all broadcasters.  It was their streaming/on demand/catch up platform allowed them all to be shown and be broadcast and be watched later on demand. They decided to withdraw from tennis coverage when they lost the US open rights to Sky - as they didn't have a single slam (and that is where the viewers come in). 

Sky have access to the world feed too - but in Brisbane and Auckland (and we assume each event until Indian Wells) - aren't providing this multi court coverage/catch up because their platform doesn't permit catch up and they just can't be bothered to provide multi court access.  This is a serious reduction in access to tennis for the public - for which they are expected to pay around four times as much per month as before.

Sky could provide multi court coverage - and provide catch up/streaming for tennis and other sports (like BBC and Discovery+ and Amazon do) - but clearly they just can't be bothered!

@smstyles 

Sky is the only option for the WTA tour now - bar the UK grass court season as the rights for that don't appear to have been awarded yet. WTA tv is geoblocked in the UK - but tennistv is available as an option for the ATP tour and offers on demand/catch up like Amazon did.

Sky's tennis channel won't launch it seems until Indian Wells in early March - the first major 1000 event of the year. I doubt - based on Brisbane and Auckland so far - there will therefore be any multi court coverage until early March therefore. Bar a couple of European indoor events including Rotterdam most of the other events before then are in Asia, the Middle east and South America - where they will probably just therefore show matches from the centre court. Of course which they shown when a women's and men's event clashes (as they will most weeks) is unclear - I think unlike Emma R is playing they will prioritise ATP over WTA.

We shall see - but that seems to be the plan based on what has been announced and happened so far this week.

This message was authored by RichAA1 This message was authored by: RichAA1

@Martym890 

Thanks for the info. I read that Sky were awarded the ATP amd WTA rights to grow the popularity of tennis in the UK. As a WTA fan, I now cannot watch WTA matches of my choice or follow my favourite WTA players unlike on Amazon Prime. How is that going to grow the viewers of the WTA? 

This message was authored by Ryanbcfc1 This message was authored by: Ryanbcfc1

@Martym890 

Hi Marty, 

Thanks for your comments, out of interest were did you read about a sky sports tennis channel coming in March for Indian wells? Do you have a link?

I think what frustrates me at the moment is the lack of transparency from sky, at the moment tennis fans are in the dark how we will be watching these 4000 matches they promised when they announced the deal.

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

@Ryanbcfc1 I agree, it would be good to have some further information. Hopefully we shall get some updates in the very near future. I hope we will have access like on Amazon with choices of matches

@Ryanbcfc1 

The March launch has been mentioned in various places - this guy on twitter is also an excellent source.

https://twitter.com/tennisontelly/status/1728086936948994237

Indian Wells is the most logical start for a dedicated channel as its a mixed 96 singles draw 1000 event. Although there is plenty of tennis on every week from now until Indian Wells - bar the two weeks of the AO which Sky don't have the rights for - to justify an all day (middle east/Europe/Asian events) and an all night (South America/Mexico/US events) coverage as there will literally be tennis on pretty much 24 hours a day!

Why did Sky buy the rights to tennis globally in the UK - if they aren't going to use them fully?

This message was authored by AmazonLover This message was authored by: AmazonLover

Re: ASB Classic

Although there are Sky web links talking about the ASB Classic, I can't find it on any channel. I really want to watch Emma Raducanu. Can anyone please point me at a time, date, and  channel  which is showing an ASB Classic match?

This message was authored by martin3 This message was authored by: martin3

Re: Sky’s Disastrous US Open Tennis Coverage

hi all,

been a while but now we have Sky covering brisbane tennis..as it was new years etc did not have time to assess but a cursory glance seems to confirm nothing has changed and all our feedback ignored,,no highlight pacakage that i can see,2 channels but both showing the same matches at the same time..basically if you can't stay up all night or have to go to work in the morning tough ,we can't help you..

This message was authored by Trips+out This message was authored by: Trips+out

I have now complained about skys awful tennis coverage which I think needs to be addressed as soon as possible if they want to keep viewers interested in watching tennis. 

This message was authored by Trips+out This message was authored by: Trips+out

Re: Sky’s Disastrous US Open Tennis Coverage

Hi

i have written this on x . Unfortunately I come to the conclusion that sky have missed an opportunity to improve their coverage from the US Open. I would like to see improvements before March.
I am absolutely disgusted with how sky sports have treated this so called new beginning for tennis. Do you agree with this.

This message was authored by Lorraine+C+C This message was authored by: Lorraine+C+C

Tennis 2024

How am I going to be able to watch all atp and **bleep** matches on sky sports? I want to choose what I watch in the sam eway that I did with Prime.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion