Discussion topic: Is satellite TV dying?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Is satellite TV dying?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ev71 wrote:

It seems Sky aren't quite ready for people to proactively switch to Stream just yet.

You just need to call.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Ev71 wrote:

Got to the end and got an error page saying because I have SkyQ, I can't have Stream.

The complication is that subscribers who are within a minimum contract term on Q cannot move to the monthly rolling Stream contract, and a discussion is required with the Sales advisors.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Ev71 This message was authored by: Ev71

I'd much rather do things online than be stuck in a 30 min phone queue, although I suspect I'll have to do that to cancel.

If Sky can't allow an expiring contract holder to change their options without calling someone (and invariably dealing with someone offshore at least initially) then I would question their commitment to keeping an existing customer.

Virgin have given me a good deal online. Might be easier just to accept that deal.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Ev71 wrote:

Virgin have given me a good deal online. Might be easier just to accept that deal.

Maybe, but you would still need to call Sky to cancel. 

Incidentally, I called Sky twice last week and was connected immediately after going through the security questions. No queue at all. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@Ev71 wrote:

I'd much rather do things online than be stuck in a 30 min phone queue, although I suspect I'll have to do that to cancel.

If Sky can't allow an expiring contract holder to change their options without calling someone (and invariably dealing with someone offshore at least initially) then I would question their commitment to keeping an existing customer.

Virgin are unfortunately the same for existing customers, you need to call to make changes or add things like Virgin Stream to your account. And with VM you're up against far, far worse customer service than Sky: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68093374

This message was authored by Josephjay This message was authored by: Josephjay

Only reason I'm with sky is because of the satellite without having too use the Internet too watch the TV and when the satellite ends I'll be just listening too audiobooks lol .. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Josephjay although I expect there will be a few others like yourself that Sky will lose as customers their potential annual cost savings which are estimated to be in the £100,000,000s each year make the switch inevitable. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Josephjay wrote:

when the satellite ends I'll be just listening too audiobooks

Digital terrestrial television (Freeview) may well continue longer than satellite broadcast, as its critical infrastructure doesn't have the same absolute end-of-life as the orbiting platforms (or the massive replacement cost)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Chrisee wrote:

@Josephjay although I expect there will be a few others like yourself that Sky will lose as customers their potential annual cost savings which are estimated to be in the £100,000,000s each year make the switch inevitable. 

If they're going to save such vast amounts of money, one can only assume they'll be able to cope with the loss of customers. 
We can also hope that they spend some of that saved money on improving the hardware, because it's that which made them lose me as a customer after 18 years. 

This message was authored by Josephjay This message was authored by: Josephjay

Yeah I'm sure they will cope just fine lol 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion