Discussion topic: How to watch Bundesliga games

This message was authored by GokTV This message was authored by: GokTV

How to watch Bundesliga games

Hi all.

I'm aware that Sky Sports have exclusive rights for the Bundesliga, but I am only ever seeing viewing details for one game a day.

Where would I be able to watch the other games that are not scheduled on one of the TV channels? Sky Go, Sky Sports app, red button on the STB - anything would work but I couldn't find these games last season.

"The premium fixture of each weekend will be shown live every Saturday at 5.30pm on Sky Sports Football, with further matches broadcast via Sky Sports' linear or digital channels including Sky Sports YouTube."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12371653/bundesliga-to-be-shown-live-on-sky-sports-for... 

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Best Answers
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte Answer

Re: How to watch Bundesliga games

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GokTV wrote:

Thank you all for the info.

So just to confirm - is there no red button or online only broadcast of the games that aren't scheduled on one of the regular Sports channels?

If so that seems incredibly dissapointing - why not let your subscribers watch all of the games if you've bought exclusive rights and there's no real cost to putting them online? Like BT Sport has online-only 'channels' when there are many games on at the same time, or beIN Sports makes sure to put on every single game they have the rights for at the very least on beIN Connect (online app).

You're not really helping yourself if you're buying out the broadcast rights for a league and making it so there's no legal way to watch the majority of the matches. Then people will just find free sites online instead of buying Sky Sports...

Under UEFA rules, a football federation can enforce black out for tv broadcast of football altogether in their home market at a particular time.

The only two federations to do this is the Scottish Fa and English Fa which means tv broadcasters in the uk can not broadcast any matches between I believe 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a saturday in England or Scotland 

As looking at the link on the fixtures for the bundesliga, a lot of their matches overlap with this time so the black out/broadcast ban.

See https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/blocked-broadcasting-hours/

BeIn Sports don't broadcast Iegally in the uk so this doesn't apply to them.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

There are not many additional games by the look of it but those that are available look like they wlll be on the Sky Sports app:

https://www.live-footballontv.com/

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

On the fixtures list, they do indicate what are the live games coming up in the next few weeks

https://www.skysports.com/bundesliga-fixtures

You will see some matches marked as 'live on sky'

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@GokTV wrote:

Hi all.

I'm aware that Sky Sports have exclusive rights for the Bundesliga, but I am only ever seeing viewing details for one game a day.

Where would I be able to watch the other games that are not scheduled on one of the TV channels? Sky Go, Sky Sports app, red button on the STB - anything would work but I couldn't find these games last season.

"The premium fixture of each weekend will be shown live every Saturday at 5.30pm on Sky Sports Football, with further matches broadcast via Sky Sports' linear or digital channels including Sky Sports YouTube."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12371653/bundesliga-to-be-shown-live-on-sky-sports-for... 

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

They've not treated the Bundesliga very well - certainly not as well as BT treated it. It screams of a purchase just for filler. 

The bulk of matches being played during the blackout doesn't help but Sky could certainly broadcast more matches than they do. 

GokTV
Topic Author

So just to confirm - is there no red button or online only broadcast of the games that aren't scheduled on one of the regular Sports channels?

If so that seems incredibly dissapointing - why not let your subscribers watch all of the games if you've bought exclusive rights and there's no real cost to putting them online? Like BT Sport has online-only 'channels' when there are many games on at the same time, or beIN Sports makes sure to put on every single game they have the rights for at the very least on beIN Connect (online app).

You're not really helping yourself if you're buying out the broadcast rights for a league and making it so there's no legal way to watch the majority of the matches. Then people will just find free sites online instead of buying Sky Sports...

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte Answer

@GokTV wrote:

Under UEFA rules, a football federation can enforce black out for tv broadcast of football altogether in their home market at a particular time.

The only two federations to do this is the Scottish Fa and English Fa which means tv broadcasters in the uk can not broadcast any matches between I believe 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a saturday in England or Scotland 

As looking at the link on the fixtures for the bundesliga, a lot of their matches overlap with this time so the black out/broadcast ban.

See https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/blocked-broadcasting-hours/

BeIn Sports don't broadcast Iegally in the uk so this doesn't apply to them.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
GokTV
Topic Author

Thanks for the UEFA link, that's helpful to read. I had always been under the impression that the part saying member federations can only restrict matches which fall under their jurisdiction meant leagues organised in the UK.

It does seem then that the reason for the lack of Bundesliga games is the blackout.

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@GokTV wrote:

Thanks for the UEFA link, that's helpful to read. I had always been under the impression that the part saying member federations can only restrict matches which fall under their jurisdiction meant leagues organised in the UK.

It does seem then that the reason for the lack of Bundesliga games is the blackout.

Back in the early 90s, the league of Ireland (Republic of Ireland's league) did threaten to enforce a blackout  as Sundays were the big day so sky super Sunday might cut in to attendence.

The end result was that the league of Ireland games main game day became Friday nights while sky paid for the floodlights to allow this

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion