Discussion topic: Golf in HDR, partially?

This message was authored by PDMG This message was authored by: PDMG

Golf in HDR, partially?

It was great to see the Tour Championship FedEx Cup in HDR on Sunday evening. I can't work out why it was only available in HDR from 9:30pm though & in standard HD before then. Sport in HDR seems to be less of a priority for Sky for whatever reason.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Golf in HDR, partially?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PDMG wrote:

It was great to see the Tour Championship FedEx Cup in HDR on Sunday evening. I can't work out why it was only available in HDR from 9:30pm though & in standard HD before then. Sport in HDR seems to be less of a priority for Sky for whatever reason.

Many of us  don't think that  the Golf, currently,  is true UHD / HDR but upscaled from the HD feed - althuough we could be wrong.

The Golf is only showing in HDR on the new dedicated Sky Sports Mix UHD HDR channel 858 & this channel - beng a Sports mix channel - will show native HDR sports as it's first priority. When there are more than one sport suitable it will always be down to what SKY is likely to think will get the most viewers

BTW I have no idea what was on prior to it being shown in HDR last night  & thus whether it could have started earlier (I know there was football coverage earlier in the evening but  don't follow that to know when it ended & was, myself,  watching the Golf in HD - well done Rory!)

This message was authored by trevforum This message was authored by: trevforum

Upscaling to UHD/SDR is fair enough so long as it is flagged as such.  However, to apply a fake HDR profile is a bit dubious.  Bit like colorising B&W classic films. 

——————————————————-
Sky Stream, Sky Glass, Panasonic DX902, Pioneer LX-901 7.1.4
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

The golf on Sky is not in true hdr.
It is just being broadcast as upscaled hd, on the Sky Sports Main Event Ultra HDR channel.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

Does anyone have any proof that the golf is upscaled?

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@LGUser wrote:

Proof ??... Who are you... Matlock !

You can tell just by watching it.. (not that you'd know as you've mentioned many times you don't watch sports which makes it strange you have replied to this thread )

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

@Doc5907 wrote:

@LGUser wrote:

You can tell just by watching it.. (not that you'd know as you've mentioned many times you don't watch sports which makes it strange you have replied to this thread )

I am interested in know how so many know it's upscaled without saying how they know it is.

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@LGUser wrote:

@Doc5907 wrote:

@LGUser wrote:

I am interested in know how so many know it's upscaled without saying how they know it is.

Do you have proof it's not?

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

All non-UHD content being viewed on a UHD panel is being 'upscaled' somewhere, otherwise most of the screen would be empty: that could be during post-production, prior to transmission, at the set top box or by the silicon in a UHD television.  Whether an extensive dynamic range is being captured by a CCD and then reserved in data is different, although this is much more likely if 4K cameras are in use with a 'better than HD' workflow.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion