Discussion topic: Football ‘results’ on Home Screen

This message was authored by timosb This message was authored by: timosb

Football ‘results’ on Home Screen

Hi, so following on from previous discussions (and bewilderment?!) about Sky putting the premier league football scores and results on the Home Screen spoiling the games for viewers yet to watch the games, I now see Sky have listened to the viewers and removed the scores!.. thank you!! ....

...... only to find they make sure you know the outcome via the captions?! Really?! Did Sky sit down and think ..'ok so viewers hate us putting the scores on the Home Screen so let's remove them ... but... let's make sure they know the outcome but not the score?!' ...let's add captions like .. 'no goal thriller', 'xxxx hold on to grab a point' ' xxx scores the winner' .. ' 'injury time winner for xxx'  seriously? Why can't you just let viewers record and watch sporting events when they want without the spoiler alerts on the Home Screen? It's not like you can avoid the Home Screen easily? 
I just don't understand your reasoning behind given the result away less than 12th after the game has ended? 
please rethink what you write in the captions.. thanks 

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Football ‘results’ on Home Screen

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@timosb 

The phrasing of your post suggests you don't realise you are not talking to Sky Customer Services on here. This is a customer based forum where customers try to help other customers.

You can vent your displeasure by emailing the Viewer Relations Team at viewerR@sky.uk

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
timosb
Topic Author

Morning.. yeah it was more to see if others viewers felt the same. I know as an individual Sky won't care but if they see other viewers feel the same, as they did with the 'showing the scores' discussion then they might rethink the wording of the captions. 
thanks 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@timosb wrote:

I know as an individual Sky won't care but if they see other viewers feel the same, as they did with the 'showing the scores' discussion then they might rethink the wording of the captions. 

@timosb 

I don't disagree with you but that might be seen as campaigning which is against the Community rules.

Sky customer since 2001
timosb
Topic Author

Ah then I apologise I shall remove the post .

thanks for the information 

timosb
Topic Author

In the spirit of not campaigning , could a CM please delete this discussion for me please? 
many thanks 

@timosb 

No need to apologise. I'm just a customer like you. Scores appearing doesn't bother me at all but I get your point. Your thread doesn't need removing imo, I was just forewarning you that posts involving campaigning will be removed. Email the VR team as suggested. 

Sky customer since 2001
timosb
Topic Author

Thank you. 

This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman

It's a good point and there have been times where they seemed to pay attention but there's no consistency. At times the score has been on the thumbnail of the highlights link.

I've noticed similar in the tennis section.

Maybe on line 2 there are clips and something like "x wins her first title". Then on line 3 is the actual on demand version of the final.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@ftballman wrote:

It's a good point and there have been times where they seemed to pay attention but there's no consistency. At times the score has been on the thumbnail of the highlights link.

I've noticed similar in the tennis section.

Maybe on line 2 there are clips and something like "x wins her first title". Then on line 3 is the actual on demand version of the final.

I've noticed most broadcasters don't really care about spoiling sports results, and thats because sports content is still largely the only thing shown on television that is still watched live. Not saying it is right, but they with rolling news coverage and social media, the results of sport events are usually plastered all over the place once its finished.

Ultimately if you don't want a sporting event ruined for you if you want to view it later you essentially need to go out of your way to avoid spoilers, which is quite tricky.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Mr+Ripley This message was authored by: Mr+Ripley

@timosb wrote:

Hi, so following on from previous discussions (and bewilderment?!) about Sky putting the premier league football scores and results on the Home Screen spoiling the games for viewers yet to watch the games, I now see Sky have listened to the viewers and removed the scores!.. thank you!! ....

...... only to find they make sure you know the outcome via the captions?! Really?! Did Sky sit down and think ..'ok so viewers hate us putting the scores on the Home Screen so let's remove them ... but... let's make sure they know the outcome but not the score?!' ...let's add captions like .. 'no goal thriller', 'xxxx hold on to grab a point' ' xxx scores the winner' .. ' 'injury time winner for xxx'  seriously? Why can't you just let viewers record and watch sporting events when they want without the spoiler alerts on the Home Screen? It's not like you can avoid the Home Screen easily? 
I just don't understand your reasoning behind given the result away less than 12th after the game has ended? 

It isn't only sports results. Sky does the same thing on its home page with film awards. The morning after award ceremonies such as the Emmys, Golden Globes, Baftas & Oscars you can guarantee to see the winners plastered all over the screen. This then means watching the event that I have recorded the night before is then ruined, I know who has won.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I didn't get where I am today by writing ridiculous signatures.
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Mr+Ripley wrote:

@timosb wrote:

It isn't only sports results. Sky does the same thing on its home page with film awards. The morning after award ceremonies such as the Emmys, Golden Globes, Baftas & Oscars you can guarantee to see the winners plastered all over the screen. This then means watching the event that I have recorded the night before is then ruined, I know who has won.

This also is the type of content you would see covered/spoiled on the news and all over the internet which I believe is also why things like award shows are treated in the same way as sport.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

timosb
Topic Author

Agreed. Sky might employ the same idea for Sky movies? .. 'sixth sense' - Bruce Willis plays a dead man and little boy sees dead people - click here to download and watch this thriller with twists. 

*apologies - spoiler alert. 

Sky should work on the principle the viewer hasnt seen the scores not that they have.. as I said, even moving it down off the main screen would help. 

This message was authored by Dillonx This message was authored by: Dillonx

I think you are asking Sky to do something that would not suit the majority of people using their services. When I tune in to Sky Sports it is so that I can find out the up to date results in games that are or have already taken place. That's what a Sports News Channel is for.

If, for some reason, I have not been able to watch something live then I know that I have to avoid the radio, the news and particularly Sky Sports News because it's up to me to avoid the information, it's not Sky's job to think they need to hide it from me. 

99% of viewers will want the up to date information to be on the screen. Your expectation is flawed.

timosb
Topic Author

My expectation is flawed? That they don't give the results on the Home Screen alongside the recordings of matches yet to be watched? By all means have a page of results in a results section but not on the homepage. The sky home page is not the news, it is the means to access News and Sport etc. and that's where the results should be placed, in the appropriate area not on the home page.  I think you have misunderstood my point. I understand viewers like yourself would like to see scores but you should be able to access that at your will. My expectation of Sky is don't give away vital results on ANY sport on the home page which customers have to use to access their recordings of sports yet to be watched. It's the position and location I have an issue with not the fact that they do it. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion