Discussion topic: Eurosport 4K during Australian Open

This message was authored by gszab1 This message was authored by: gszab1

Eurosport 4K during Australian Open

Hello, 

I can see the Eurosport 4K logo on the Ultra HD channel (906) on Stream. Out of curiosity, is this channel going to exist on Q as well?

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Eurosport 4K during Australian Open

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gszab1 wrote:

Hello, 

I can see the Eurosport 4K logo on the Ultra HD channel (906) on Stream. Out of curiosity, is this channel going to exist on Q as well?

Yes UHD for Eurosport coverage of the Australian Open is available on SKY Q via the Red Button

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@gszab1  I would imagine it will be available via one of the UHD channels on Sky Q also as has been the case previously.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

In prior years, On q for the French open on eurosport, there is a red button (or green button. I don't remember) option for better definition.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@gszab1 

Worth remembering that the youngest of the satellites in the Astra 28.2E cluster is over a decade old, and so UHD broadcast capacity is distinctly limited with no possibility of upgrading the existing hardware: it's also an expensive way to shift bits. For streaming there's effectively no limit to what a provider can offer: any bandwidth restriction is typically at the subscriber address.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
gszab1
Topic Author
This message was authored by gszab1 This message was authored by: gszab1

@TimmyBGood 

Exactly. Maybe a recent example for this is the Coronation on Sky News, which was only available on Stream/Glass in 4K HDR.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@gszab1 

Worth remembering that the youngest of the satellites in the Astra 28.2E cluster is over a decade old, and so UHD broadcast capacity is distinctly limited with no possibility of upgrading the existing hardware: it's also an expensive way to shift bits. For streaming there's effectively no limit to what a provider can offer: any bandwidth restriction is typically at the subscriber address.

There is no shortage of spare capacity which can be used for anything (SD, HD, UHD or radio) but it costs a lot of money especially for UHD.

In recent years the trend has been for Sky to squeeze in more and more channels per transponder (eg. all Sky Cinema HD channels are now on the same transponder, rather than spread across 2) so some transponders can be turned off, cutting costs.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

@gszab1 wrote:

Hello, 

Yes UHD for Eurosport coverage of the Australian Open is available on SKY Q via the Red Button

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@gszab1 

Worth remembering that the youngest of the satellites in the Astra 28.2E cluster is over a decade old, and so UHD broadcast capacity is distinctly limited with no possibility of upgrading the existing hardware

This isn't the case at all, @TimmyBGood 

All 3 satellites are capable of UHD transmission - unsure why you think/state otherwise. The oldest of the fleet is actually the chosen satellite to host the UHD channels currently.

There is an abundance of capacity across all 3 satellites - that's not an issue.

This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@gszab1 

Just to be crystal clear. Some channels only broadcast via satellite, meaning their only output is satellite. This is then distributed via satellite and/or transformed to a DTT or cable feed, or via online.

Also, for some channels, their only output is online (i.e. previously NBC News Now) and then this is transformed into satellite, DTT or cable feeds.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion