Discussion topic: DIscovery+ future after BT Sport rebrand

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Re: in-programme advertising oRe: DIscovery+ future after BT Sport rebrand

Don't agree I am afraid and nor does others. TNT are ones who are coming over and it's irrelevant whether it's just a name change. They should be showing more on their site. As agreed by an earlier message @Grilly  they should be showing some marketing

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: DIscovery+ future after BT Sport rebrand

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Given the ongoing corporate chaos at Warner Bros. Discovery, I'd think it's quite possible they haven't entirely got a grip on this.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Very true @TimmyBGood 

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Given the ongoing corporate chaos at Warner Bros. Discovery, I'd think it's quite possible they haven't entirely got a grip on this.

This isn't a tinpot thing - BT have a very real interest to ensure it goes smoothly. They have over half a billion pounds at stake, which they will be extremely keen on receiving via the earnout structure of the deal.

Outside of Anthony and Grilly on the Sky forum being unhappy about the lack of a website, the transaction itself was pretty big, with a multitude of obstacles to overcome in terms of rights agreements and transfer of various business interests. The fact that they entered talks, and got this thing over the line, inside 18 months is pretty impressive. 

Am afraid there are more than two of us but we're here to agree to disagree. It's a complete mess I am afraid

This message was authored by Grilly This message was authored by: Grilly

@d2h wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Outside of Anthony and Grilly on the Sky forum being unhappy about the lack of a website, the transaction itself was pretty big, with a multitude of obstacles to overcome in terms of rights agreements and transfer of various business interests. 

if all was so clear then why are there 5 pages of posts? With people discussing what TNT will offer and charge?

SkyQ HDR 2TB box
Sky Customer since 1990
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@d2h wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

This isn't a tinpot thing - BT have a very real interest to ensure it goes smoothly. They have over half a billion pounds at stake, which they will be extremely keen on receiving via the earnout structure of the deal.

Absolutely, but it's not BT which has been engaging in corporate musical chairs since WBD found they had rather more senior executives than they need.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

For what its worth see https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/tnt-sports-cost-extra-discovery-subscribers/ 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Well said and pointed out @Grilly. 69 messages and 5 pages. There would not be so many if people were happy

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

I think the big reason there isn't a big advertising promotion of the name change is because it is a quiet time for their big rights.

Has anyone looked at the schedule for bt sports? The big sport event this weekend is baseball. I like baseball but it is hardly going to get people that don't subscribe Subscribing (as if they are big baseball fans, they'd be Subscribing since end of march)

The changeover date is to coincide with a week or two before starting promotion for the 2023/24 EPL season.

Wbd/tnt/bt sports knows their subscriber trends figures. They have that data for years. If they haven't anything big at the minute, advertising is just spending for a tax deduction (I know wbd like their tax deductions but )

The big promotion comes when they feel it is good time for new subscribers. No prices have been announced as for new perspective premiership subscribers, there might be introductory offer.

Why announce, from 18th July you can subscribe for say £20 when they are currently selling for say £30. (Both prices hypothetical)

Who would subscribe before that if they knew they could subscribe for £10 less in 10 days time?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Well said and pointed out @Grilly. 69 messages and 5 pages. There would not be so many if people were happy

Those 5 pages and 69 messages are made by less than 20 people(most of which are people who don't see a problem at all), that should show you the scale of the problem, your trying to make a massive issue out of something that shouldn't be an issue at all.

@Super+Anthony What has been the response from TNT Sports when you contacted them to express your frustration?

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by Gareth21212 This message was authored by: Gareth21212

Recently purchased sky glass and had a follow up call from them checking everything was OK, and they told me that you won't need a btsport subscription, that discovery plus app on tv will include the premier league games etc at no extra cost

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@Gareth21212 wrote:

Recently purchased sky glass and had a follow up call from them checking everything was OK, and they told me that you won't need a btsport subscription, that discovery plus app on tv will include the premier league games etc at no extra cost

The £600m per season they need to pay to UEFA and the Premier League for their two biggest contracts dictate that the price for the TNT Sports would need to be at least £25 extra per month. Realistically, even that price is nowhere near enough to make the service self sufficient. If they go lower than that, you will be reading things in the trade press because of unhappy shareholders... they're the ones who would feel it through their dividends and we can safely say that the shareholders aren't in the charitable sector. 

The above is very conservative, with 2m people each paying for a full calendar year - they'd manage to cover the rights fees but pay for nothing else out of the subscription income alone. 

WBD would be needing over 7m paid customers to their £6.99 tier to simply cover the UCL and PL costs, which cost around £50m per calendar month. They would need to hope that their remaining rights could be broadcast for free because their current strict financial conditions wouldn't be able to throw money at them from across the wider business. 

The number of BT Sport subscribers is unclear but it wouldn't be too wide of the mark to gauge it at 1.5m. Even at the current £29.99 monthly pass price, it's not hard to see why BT shareholders wanted to rid themselves of the sport burden - many of whom never wanted to get into in the first place.

Sky are only able to offer their own sports channels at a reduced price because they can offset the cost against other areas of the business. WBD don't have that luxury and realistically, the only company that could offer the football at anywhere near the price people are wishing for is Amazon et al. 

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

TNT Sports UK Website 

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football/what-is-tnt-sports-what-channels-does-tnt-sports-offer-what-are...

The website has details about existing UK subscribers to BT Sport with Sky and BT and Virgin etc and coming soon also access to TNT Sports on Discovery+ App

Note the TNT Sports Website says 

***TNT Sports is not available on discovery+ in the Republic of Ireland

Customers in Republic of Ireland who subscribe to Sports Extra will  continue to watch TNT Sports on Sky Q/Sky Glass and Sky Stream with their Sports Extra Subscription but won't have access to TNT Sports on Discovery+ app

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks
This message was authored by ozsat This message was authored by: ozsat

Can confirm that the TNT Sports channels are now listing in Discovery+ app - except on SkyQ.

My 'BT Sport via BT' account has opened up access to the BT Sport channels on the 'complimentary' subscription (where listing).

The 'complimentary' Sky account (without BT Sport) says contact provider or gives error messages.

I don't know if those with 'BT Sport via Sky' get access on non-Sky devices.

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 2TB with UHD/HDR + two minis) in Sky region #71 (Oxford) using VirginMedia Gig1 Fibre (1.2Gbps/100Mbps).

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion