Discussion topic: Changing Channels Half Way a Programme-Annoying

This message was authored by MikeLodge This message was authored by: MikeLodge

Changing Channels Half Way a Programme-Annoying

Does anyone else find it really annoying that having recorded a Cricket Match on Sky Cricket, that half way through, the announcer casually announces that if the viewer wants to carry on watching the game, they will have to change channels as they are going to something else. Fine when watching the match live as the viewer can take immediate action, but absolutely nothing the viewer can do if it has been recorded and as matches do not seem to get onto CatchUp TV, which can be downloaded several days later, the viewer is left in limbo. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Changing Channels Half Way a Programme-Annoying

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

This is not a new thing the BBC have been doing this for decades with the tennis etc...

You either have to watch it live or don't watch at all, I very much doubt broadcasters will change their ways

MikeLodge
Topic Author

Yes I know the Beeb do it especially with Tennis.  But we are talking about SKY that provides a box and service that allows the recording of their programmes, and indeed using the record series facility if you cannot watch programmes in real time.  Saying that you just have to watch it live or not at all, is not really that helpful.  

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Email viewerR@sky.uk (Viewer Relations Team), but I doubt you'll get the reply you're after

MikeLodge
Topic Author

Thanks - I will email but yes, not hopeful.  I have found it happens when the previous programme over runs.  It's a shame that with all of the technology available that they cannot find away to send something through to the sky boxes so that they pick up the other channel, even if both channels end up getting recorded. 

I have found it sometimes happens when the previous programme over runs. So once again,, the intended programme that the viewer wants recorded, ends up being a programme the viewer has no interest in.  

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

When this is going to happen so it is pre planned then it will be shown in the EPG that the viewer has to change channels, obviously with over running matches it isn't possible to know in advance if this is going to happen so if you are going to record a cricket match it is worth checking to see if the match is being moved to another channel so you can set a recording for that channel as well.

This link is also worth keeping an eye on:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/cricket-on-sky

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@MikeLodge 

I'm a big sports watcher and the thing I've noticed is you have to be careful when recording Sports events on Sky Sports Main Event as they sometimes switch to another event halfway through the one your watching.

I've seen it happen with cricket where they will switch to the F1 or football for instance on main event. Thats why I will always try to record from the dedicated channel for the sport, in this case Sky Sports cricket. If I wanted to record the UHD version of an event I will try to record it from the hidden UHD menu rather than Sky Sports ME UHD, if available.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
MikeLodge
Topic Author

On the particular recording that had the problem, the IPL match that was shown in the previous time slot was interrupted by rain and at the start of the recording, the commentator  said that they were now going to the match that was scheduled for viewing but that they would return to the rain interrupted match and anyone who wanted to continue to watch the T20 match would have to change channels, so this was a case of not being able to determine in advance on the EPG where the other channel was going to be.  

MikeLodge
Topic Author

Yes, I've had that too on the Main Channel so tend to record the dedicated channel.  So whilst I was recording the Cricket Channel,  it seemed someone felt the IPL was more important than the Vitality Bash which was getting switched to the rather obscure Sky Mix channel.  

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

It works both ways I am annoyed when a sport overruns then there is loads of waffle and the programme I actually wanted to watch is cancelled.

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

@bob1234 wrote:

It works both ways I am annoyed when a sport overruns then there is loads of waffle and the programme I actually wanted to watch is cancelled.

Good point. What has always baffled me is why channels need to have between 3 & 4 hours dedicated to a football match that lasts 90 minutes. As for the waffle, is there really anything new that can be said about a game of football? 

MikeLodge
Topic Author

I generally have a little chuckle when I hear these previous players throw out advice on what players should have done or should not have done in a match as if they never made similar mistakes on the pitch when they played. But yep, all the extra long pre match and post match analysis is so over the top.  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion