Discussion topic: VOIP Problems

This message was authored by Squwak7000 This message was authored by: Squwak7000

VOIP Problems

Hello Every one,

Last week I was upgraded to FTTP. The internet itself is fine except my VOIP has issues as my landline was imported into my router.

I currently use a Siemens Gigaset DECT base unit which has been connected into the VOIP port on my new router. Outgoing calls are absolutely fine. However incoming calls have various problems.

Caller ID is glitchy, even though a number will be in the phonebook of the handset only the number is displayed, not the name. Sometimes the display will flash between numbers and names. Sometimes it actually works properly.

The other incoming call problem is the ring cadence of the handsets. Each handset seems to go off on its own sequence, calls can only seem to be answered when a particular handset is actually ringing. After answering the “rings” can still heard from other handsets in other rooms. (They do eventuallystop) This is very disconcerting.

I have contacted SKY and while their teche expert was friendly and trying to be helpful the only advise was to turn the router and DECT base unit off and on again. This did not fix the problem. I really never thought it would.

It goes without saying that this phone system was working perfectly on the old analogue line. Has anybody else had any sort of problems like these? Is it just some sort of compatibility issue?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Best Answers
Squwak7000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Squwak7000 This message was authored by: Squwak7000 Answer

Re: VOIP Problems

Thanks for the reply.

I will endevour to borrow a standard phone and another DEXT base

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I haven't seen similar issues reported here before. I suspect either a fault with your cordless phone or a compatibility issue, as you suggest. It seems the base station is having a hard time handling the caller ID data provided by your Hub, and is mishandling the ring tone from the Hub which should have ceased once a call is picked up

I'd be inclined to test with a wired phone to see if both Caller ID and the ring tone are then handled correctly. If so, it would suggest the Siemens is the cause of the issues.

Squwak7000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Squwak7000 This message was authored by: Squwak7000 Answer

Thanks for the reply.

I will endevour to borrow a standard phone and another DEXT base

Squwak7000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Squwak7000 This message was authored by: Squwak7000

Re: VOIP Problems pART 2

Hello everyone,

I've been living with the ongoing problem of my Dect phone and my Voip telephone service.

The ringing problem mentioned in my previous post persists. (Even with a different router) It is driving us crazy, in fact my wife has problems answering calls at all.

I've been doing some research and found two people who had heard of the issue. One contact was aware that it was a BT provided VoIP service and that there was a menu within the BT router to adjust VoIP settings, apparently something to do with multi-line working fixed the problem.

I have double checked the SKY router but cannot find any Voip settings. Can someone confirm that this is the case? Further to this is it possible to use a third party VoIP adapter with SKY’s VoIP service? This would obviously give me settings to adjust.

Many thanks

Re: VOIP Problems pART 2

@Squwak7000 wrote:

Can someone confirm that this is the case? Further to this is it possible to use a third party VoIP adapter with SKY’s VoIP service? This would obviously give me settings to adjust.

There's no adjustment in the Hub settings for Sky VOIP.

I don't know of any third party adaptor you can use. The analogue telephone adaptor (ATA) is integral to the Sky Hub, and the only external connection possible is an analogue handset.

This message was authored by Buddie2022 This message was authored by: Buddie2022

I have a similar issue since transferring over to Sky Fibre. My answer phone is plugged into the back of the router, the main unit rings and can be answered ok but the handsets only ring, you can hear the person but they can't hear you

This message was authored by Hugey This message was authored by: Hugey

Since going over to Sky Talk from BT (where my phone was wired to the copper cable), I have had a lot of problems with one way transmission and unresponsive tone signalling to organisations that give you choices for routing to internal departments. The phone now plugs into the router and travels voice over IP (VoIP). I reported it to Sky who tell me it is a fault common to all Sky VoIP lines. There is nothing on their website to tell me this is the case

This message was authored by Pccs This message was authored by: Pccs

I rang customer service today because we can hear callers but they cannot hear us. Apparently they have had over 600 complaints over the last few days . There is a nerwork problem they are teying to fix

Squwak7000
Topic Author

Hello again,

I am pleased to see that 'm not the only one with problems.

Have been trying to get through to customer dervices since

over an hour now - no joy. Has anyone any numvers that thet

would reccomend?

@Squwak7000 the forum filter doesn't  allow phone numbers to be posted here. What problem are you having getting through?

This message was authored by Pccs This message was authored by: Pccs

Tried to post number but it won't let me. I got it from the website though

Got straight through this morning

This message was authored by Hugey This message was authored by: Hugey

If you select the Help option from the main menu, you can use the chat icon to speak to a customer advisor 

Squwak7000
Topic Author

What problem are you having getting through?

Either customer services not taking calls or an offer of a text to fix my problem.

No "real person" option.

@Squwak7000 wrote:

What problem are you having getting through?

Either customer services not taking calls or an offer of a text to fix my problem.

No "real person" option.

Calls to all Sky numbers pass through the same call handling process. Let the bot send you a text, but stay on the line and you'll eventually be put through to an adviser.

This message was authored by ZZRPETE This message was authored by: ZZRPETE

Our VOIP doesn't work, we had an engineer out who said that there was a loose cable, fixed and then went. Before this we could phone out now we can't do either, phone has a dialling tone but that's all. Sky seem to have lots of complaints about this and obviously we have lots of elderly relatives that will only call the landline that now won't be able to get hold of us! What to do?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion