Discussion topic: Sky to virgin landline connection problem

This message was authored by Kipa98 This message was authored by: Kipa98

Sky to virgin landline connection problem

Hi I moved my 80yr old father over from BT to Sky and everything was fine and great but in the last three weeks he has been having a problem with ringing me.

When he rings my Virgin landline it's saying my number does not exist although even know we can ring it via a mobile and anyone else not with sky can ring me .

He can ring other numbers fine and I can ring him from my landline and even if you press 1471 to ring back it says number does not exist

Could anyone please point me in the right direction to sort this .. as I don't feel happy that my 80Yr father cannot contact me if he needs to.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Sky to virgin landline connection problem

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It will need to be reported to Sky, from his number the free number to use is just  150.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Kipa98
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kipa98 This message was authored by: Kipa98

I have been through to sky 3 times and virgin twice they run line tests and all is ok I have now just found out my sister who is with sky can't ring me either getting same message this number does not exist.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Unfortunately there's little we customers here can do to get this put right. It's a matter of speaking to Sky,again, I'm afraid. I doubt it's a problem with your line so no amount of line testing is going to find the problem. More likely it's  a networking/routing issue.

This message was authored by Trying+to+buy This message was authored by: Trying+to+buy

I have exactly the same problem. I can't even ring my virgin landline from my sky mobile. My son has a Vodaphone mobile and can he can get through. This starting happening around the three weeks ago also. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Trying+to+buy wrote:

I have exactly the same problem.

You'll need to do the same then, I'm afraid. 

This message was authored by Caro77 This message was authored by: Caro77

Hi , same thing happening to me. Just switched from BT landline to Sky and now can't call my parents who are with Virgin.

It just says the number you have dialled can't be recognised.. but they have had the same landline for 40+ years!

My parents can dial me no issues.

Have reported to Sky, who suggested my parents need to speak to their provider, however reading these emails it suggests to me the issue is with Sky.

This message was authored by JoSo This message was authored by: JoSo

I'm also experiencing this problem. We reported it to Virgin in November. Since then they've simply pointed to an area outage, but there's no actual evidence the outage is even related to this issue. So, we're hitting a brick wall with Virgin.

I also called Sky on Wed 1st Feb 2023 and they insisted nobody had reported the issue to them and there were no active investigations into this issue. I pointed to these forums. The Sky tech support chap dismissed these Sky forums as a poor source of quality information posted by people who don't provide enough clarity about the issue. They seem to disregard these forums. I was taken aback by this attitude. It seems that if customers aren't able to articulate and identify the exact problem with technical preciseness, they're aren't interested in investing energy in investigations. (They want customers to identify the problem before they lift a finger to fix it.)

He also stressed that there is no collaboration between Sky and Virgin.

I will report it again.

Hi,  I just wanted to give an update . My situation has been resolved and my SKY landline does now connect to my parents Virgin landline.

It wasn't easy and I had to make numerous calls to Sky to resolve, but it definitely isn't anything you can resolve yourself. 

I was told all sorts, such as had my parents accidentally barred my number ( no!), that lines were checked and there was nothing wrong with them .

It is a routing/ networking issue. SKY did need examples of when we had tried the line (ie specific dates and times when the call had failed to connect).   Other positives are my dad can now use his mobile to phone his own landline!

This forum massively helped me, and showed my situation wasn't unique, companies shouldn't dismiss them so easily. 

That's excellent news Caro77. Can I just confirm that the fault was on the Sky end it was Sky who rectified it? Can you shed any light on what they did please?

Thank you. 

Hi, I went through Sky,  I spoke to a Tech guy from Sky who said it would be escalated and could be solved quite easily. Within a matter of hours I could call my parents on their landline.

It is a routing/ networking issue.  Tech guy did not say whose error it was. The hardest part was getting the issue taken seriously,  it took several phone calls to various people before issue  was taken seriously and dealt  with.( ie passing issue back to other supplier ie virgin/ told that maybe my parents  had accidentally barred me).

Sorry I can't be of any further help, but good luck

That is helpful. Thank you. The issue couldn't have been resolved within hours unless it was handled internally by Sky, so it's almost certainly on the Sky end. Thanks again.

Update: I called Sky for the 3rd time today (03.02.2023). I explained Caro77's outcome and I asked the issue to be escalated. For some reason they asked us to provide examples of numbers that weren't able to get through to the VM landline. I found this baffling and stressed that we couldn't provide an exhaustive list explaining that anyone with a Sky number (landline or mobile) should be able to get through. They resolved the issue within 2 hrs. Friends confirmed they can now get through. Hurrah.

The moral of the story is that Sky will continue to fob you off until there's a critical mass of customers facing the issue and it becomes undeniable that it's a problem with their service. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion