Discussion topic: Sky talk anytime

This message was authored by I1Dave This message was authored by: I1Dave

Sky talk anytime

If on sky ultrafast we now plug our phone into the router and it uses VOIP , why do we still have to pay sky talk anytime?

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Sky talk anytime

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@I1DavePlugging your phone into the router is just like plugging your phone into the old socket. The calls package you are on is because that is what you pay for your calls per month, Normally you would start on Pay as you talk. But you have got the Sky talk anytime package, you can change this if you want to reduce it or got to pay as you talk. But this is something you have to decide yourself.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
I1Dave
Topic Author
This message was authored by I1Dave This message was authored by: I1Dave

Still at a loss, if it VOIP then once my monthly service is paid for the calls should be free as they are using the net

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@I1Dave  That is not the case. Calls cost just the same. The only change is they go down fibre instead of copper. You still have to pay for calls. Be that through a calls package or per call.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@I1Dave wrote:

Still at a loss, if it VOIP then once my monthly service is paid for the calls should be free as they are using the net

Sky don't provide a native VOIP service. You use a standard phone plugged into the Hub which just converts the phone output into a format that can be transported via the Internet.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@I1Dave wrote:

if it VOIP then once my monthly service is paid for the calls should be free as they are using the net

You'd think so, wouldn't you, but as I've observed elsewhere, telcos are extremely reluctant to give up the per-minute billing which has been their major source of income for a century.

From their point of view they are providing a facility and it's up to them how they get it to make money.  I would observe there's no universal right for VOIP routing to be 'free', and in fact any call which exits onto cellular or PSTN infrastructure still has a cost to the provisioning service.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion