Discussion topic: Removal of old telephone line cable

This message was authored by SC29 This message was authored by: SC29

Removal of old telephone line cable

I recently had a new overhead fibre cable installed, attached to my house (obviously) and running from the telegraph pole. However the engineer didn't remove the now redundant cable. Anyone know if this can be removed or how to go about it so that I don't have to have 2 cables running from my house? Spoke to an Openreach engineer who was working around the corner and she said to contact my provider to book it in as a new case but I can't find any info on the Sky website.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Removal of old telephone line cable

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You will need to call Sky about it, if you have a landline phone then the free number to use is just 150.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SC29 wrote:

However the engineer didn't remove the now redundant cable. Anyone know if this can be removed or how to go about it so that I don't have to have 2 cables running from my house?

Openreach typically aren't removing drop-cable because the scrap value of the small weight of copper it contains is well below the cost of the time involved, and they don't want to risk liability for damage caused to brick/mortar/render/paint/woodwork by taking out rusted-in cable clips hammered into customer premises (sometimes decades ago).  You might be able to book such a job through Sky (but I doubt there's a ordering mechanism for this) which would probably require both paying for the work and indemnifying against additional issues arising,

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by 101dinodav This message was authored by: 101dinodav

Did anyone get a solution for this? Have this exact issue now, moved to fibre, have a telephone line but do not use it, was only installed for internet. 

Sky say its not up to them, openreach tell me they only install and do not do removals. Asked what my options were as I am surely not the first person to try and get a telephone line removed!!! Was told by openreach to get an electrican? Sky say its not "active" Can I remove the wire myself from the junction box at the end of my neighbours house with everyone elses lines! Who will my family sue as libable for the injuries caused by doing this?! 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@101dinodav wrote:

Who will my family sue as libable for the injuries caused by doing this?! 

If you choose to do it yourself, despite there being no compelling reason for removing it, I doubt you'd have any grounds for suing anybody.

As it's Openreach's property, it would seem reasonable to follow their advice.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@101dinodav wrote:

Sky say its not up to them, openreach tell me they only install and do not do removals.

That is correct.  I guess it's conceivable that Openreach might, at some point in the future, regard its national web of obsolete copper as a potential resource to be recovered, but at present with scrap plastic-sheathed copper wiring worth maybe £1 per kilogramme delivered to a reclamation yard this is just not economically feasible , particularly as they'd rather have their workforce employed on FTTP rollout.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion