Discussion topic: Fibre just installed earlier today - but landline not working yet

This message was authored by Robocog This message was authored by: Robocog

Fibre just installed earlier today - but landline not working yet

Had fibre fitted ealier today (in the morning)
All working good broadband wise, but engineer didnt even check the phone line beyond seeing the green light for voice was lit
Was only when the Mrs came home and asked about the phone it occured I'd better check it
I have tried calling it from my mobile - and it just says "number I have dialled has not been recognised..."
I get a dial tone from the landline, and it wouldn't dial out - apart from the 0800 number for Sky which it dialled and hapilly worked...
Spoke to them and they got me to reset the hub (grrr took me best part of half hour to set it up to exhisting network and set the port forwarding etc...)
they rang back on my mobile - and they got me to try again - but still the same unable to make or recieve calls on the landline
They then said it may just start working as they have till midnight on the day it goes live...but am starting to panic now as Mrs needs the phone during the day and I am not going to be about to chase should it not magically start working
150 also does not work from the landline..neither does the 0800 to sky that worked a few hours ago...
getting a bit panicy that it is not going to be working for tomorrow and I'll get it in the neck for changing over...
Somebody please re-assure me it is in hand and I'll be OK...
Regards
Rob

Best Answers
Robocog
Topic Author
This message was authored by Robocog This message was authored by: Robocog Answer

Re: Fibre just installed earlier today - but landline not working yet

Got it sorted...Thanks Lisa 😄
And thanks to Daniel0210 and Mark39 for flagging this up

The thing that seemed to make ours work - turn both the ONT and hub off for 10 mins (I actually left them off for 15mins) - power them on and hey presto
Had previously only power cycled the ONT, and rebooted and reset the hub, which made no changes to the issue

Seems leaving them both off for 10 mins and powering both up (I did it together) was what ours needed to sync up and work
(hopefully this info might help someone else)
Regards
Rob

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It can take up to 24 hours for the phone service to be fully activated. I assume your phone is plugged into the Sky Hub, not the wall socket? Try restarting your Hub tomorrow by switching it off at the plug for 30 seconds. If the Voice light is then green, but still no dial tone, it would be best to report it to Sky. If you wish,  post again tomorrow and we can ask Sky's messaging team to contact you here to report it.

Robocog
Topic Author

Yes, phone is plugged into the hub (and worked to the 0800 number earlier - but not now!)
We do have a dial tone on it, but if you try and make a call after dialling the number it makes a set of "bleep tones" rather than dial the number
Will sit tight and hope it is working by tomorrow I guess...

Robocog
Topic Author

Still the same
Tried calling the landline - "this number has not been recognised" message
Tried calling out from the landline - get dial tone, put in number and get rising beep tones
Voice light on hub is green

oh dear 😞

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Sorry to hear that. Try restarting your Hub one final time and if it's no better we'll try to arrange some help for you via the forum,. 

Robocog
Topic Author

phoned Mrs on her mobile and got her to reboot the hub...got all 4 green lights, but no phone still 😞

Internet is working great though....

Can this be passed onto whoever can sort this please

Regards Rob

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Robocog 
I’ve escalated your post to Sky and the Escalation Team may get in touch with you later.

Look out for an email and also a blue/red speech bubble at the bottom of your forum page. Once that speech bubble appears you only have 48 hours to join the private chat or it will close automatically. If you fail to respond to each chat reply from Sky within 48 hours the chat will again close down automatically even if your issue hasn’t been resolved. Replies from Sky are not instant so you’ll need to regularly check the chat thread.

This link explains the Community Messaging process.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @Robocog  an invite to chat.

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
Robocog
Topic Author

Blue bubble activated - and in chat ...
Thanks for flagging this

This message was authored by gracie1948 This message was authored by: gracie1948

I'm not alone then. I didn't think to check after the engineer had gone. Until I wondered why my elderly neighbour hadn't rang me. This was Monday, phone still dead. 

jannie
Robocog
Topic Author
This message was authored by Robocog This message was authored by: Robocog Answer

Got it sorted...Thanks Lisa 😄
And thanks to Daniel0210 and Mark39 for flagging this up

The thing that seemed to make ours work - turn both the ONT and hub off for 10 mins (I actually left them off for 15mins) - power them on and hey presto
Had previously only power cycled the ONT, and rebooted and reset the hub, which made no changes to the issue

Seems leaving them both off for 10 mins and powering both up (I did it together) was what ours needed to sync up and work
(hopefully this info might help someone else)
Regards
Rob

This message was authored by gracie1948 This message was authored by: gracie1948

I don't know how to turn off the ONT.

jannie
Robocog
Topic Author

Mine has a switch on he underside (same end the cables all go in) on the far left...I pushed the switch and the lights went off
Alternately - you could just pull the power plug on the unit I guess...Mine is a white plug
(again on the left hand side on mine)

Just tried that,, no luck. Left them both off   for 10 minutes,after finding the button on the ONT.  I had high hopes too. Ordered a phone compatible with sky fibre hub, not expensive . If that doesn't work I give up.

jannie
This message was authored by NasSha This message was authored by: NasSha

i have had my fibre installed today and have the exact same problem. phone not working. i have tried to restart the new router and little box on the wall after connecting the landline to the new router, but still no luck. i am getting a dial tone but cannot make or receive calls. when making calls i get the "beeping" noise and when trying to call the landline, i am getting "number not recognised" recorded message. the green voice light is on, on the new router. again, engineer didn't check or advise anything during his visit. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion