Discussion topic: Cordless Phone interference on Sky Movies/TV Picture

This message was authored by Paul+Maidens This message was authored by: Paul+Maidens

Cordless Phone interference on Sky Movies/TV Picture

I have Sky Router SR203 (Ultrafast), SkyQ + 2 minis, Sky Talk and a BT DECT (Premium Phone Trio, base) all located within 1M of each other. This is by necessity rather than by choice.

The cordless phone signal interferes with the SkyQ TV signal, particularly Sky movies, probably LNB and DECT frequency related, wherein the picture scrambles, voice distorts and it's pointless trying to watch or record any movies.

The simplest solution is to temporarily relocate the base station +1M away from the Sky Q main box but the problem returns when the phone is located to it's original position.

Sky engineers have tried replacing the main SkyQ box and adjusting it's location, remaining within 1M to no avail.

I've looked at VRI discussions on this forum, very helpful but when I search for a VRI solution for the cabling novice, something like a KISS guide with components.

My ask, has any Sky talk customer got VRI (connecting the router back into the house copper telephone network) working? - this would enable me to relocate the DECT main box permanently?

Does anyone have an elegant solution?

Alternatives would be to;

.  To disconnect the house phone (a number I've had for +40 years)

.  Connect the DECT main to a Smart or timed socket so we can only make/receive calls between 09:00 and 18:00.

.  Change to BT fibre. They have a proprietary solution with an adapter for connecting Cordless Phones away from the hub.

.  Switch to Sky Glass or Stream but we like recording our viewing (we FF through commercials)

.  Replace the phone(s) but would the interference just switch to other channels

.  Ditch Sky Movies or even Sky Q

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Cordless Phone interference on Sky Movies/TV Picture

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Paul+Maidens 

The most helpful resource I've found on this topic is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_KGXMcJHk 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Paul+Maidens
Topic Author
This message was authored by Paul+Maidens This message was authored by: Paul+Maidens

Thanks Timmy, very infrormative Video, interesting viewing

I've been reliably informed I can activate the copper network within the house using something like the following, on order, fingers crossed.

DRUT 2m BT to BT 4 Wire 431A Male to Male Plug Telephone Flat Cable Lead 6.5ft White : Amazon.co.uk:...

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Paul+Maidens 

Possibly, but the risk there is you may be injecting current from the Hub back into the Openreach side of the Master socket, which they tend to disapprove of if the copper circuit is still intact.  The solution shown in the video is preferable as it only involves the domestic extension cabling.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Paul+Maidens
Topic Author

Thanks, yes, understood and checked.

Since FTTP was installed, we have been disconnected from the copper telephone network at the premises boundary.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion