Discussion topic: Call Charges Under VOIP Ultrafast Broadband

This message was authored by peterg...... This message was authored by: peterg......

Re: Call Charges Under VOIP Ultrafast Broadband

just got round to some indepth browsing of the Tariff Guide

Page 1 - Footnotes

QUOTE:

"A 25p connection fee applies to all non-inclusive UK landline, UK mobile calls and international calls (excluding EU landline + mobile)"

1. .......

2. ......

WTFlip ..... there are no inclusive minutes in the PAYT plan, so, an ADDITIONAL 25p PER CALL ?

Couldnt get past page 2 to 3

Surely, I cant be right, someone informed please tell me I read this wrong

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@peterg...... wrote:

WTFlip ..... there are no inclusive minutes in the PAYT plan, so, an ADDITIONAL 25p PER CALL ?

That would be my understanding.

This message was authored by peterg...... This message was authored by: peterg......

SKY PAYT users are in for a BIG shock

SKY VOIP PAYT charges.jpg

To put this in perspective, lets say a user makes four calls a day, two quick 5 minutes, one 10 minute and a hour long call. Nothing to far out of the ordinary for a low user.

Thats  £1.35 + £1.35 + £2.45 + £3.11 = £8.26 for that day,,,,,,,,, ouch! thats going to sting

NOW do that for every day of the month, of say, 30 days

£8.26 X 30 = £247.80 of call charges that month for that example

VOIP can be regarded as cheap and cheerful cost effective, except when provided by SKY PAYT

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@peterg......  That is why Sky also offers call Plans, it is each customers choice of they have Pay as you Talk.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

I would have thought that if someone is on PAYT then they have done this to save on the monthly cost of a call package as they don't plan to make any calls via their landline phone. If some does then they really should be on a calls package.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

@peterg...... wrote:

SKY PAYT users are in for a BIG shock

To put this in perspective, lets say a user makes four calls a day, two quick 5 minutes, one 10 minute and a hour long call. Nothing to far out of the ordinary for a low user.

Only a shock if you don't do the research.

I'm a low user on a PAYT scheme, and your list would certainly be out of the ordinary for me.

Yes, by using the 30 day month part of the calculation was a bit OTT just to emphasise the point that PAYT costs can escalate quite quickly

My point is that SKY users should take stock, be fully aware of the costs and they can then make an informed judgement on whether to use the service or not.

As for the comments on call plans, where have the links to Talk Plans gone, they're now missing from sky.com home page and nowhere to be found under BroadBand links.

Anytime plans are still shown on the Tariff pdf, in the help section and the community pages but nowhere frome sky homepage. Why?

Comparison sites for sky BB, ultrafast package, do not mention  that Anytime plans or other plans are available and list under more info the call charges of 15p/m (or more), with minimum call charge of 22p. Strange, when you can call Australia evenings & w/e cheaper at 12.6p/m than calling your nextdoor neighbour.

Does anyone have a valid link to any call plan on SKY VOIP service?

TIA

Bump

TIA

You can find links to past and present tariff guides in Sky's help article here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-talk-tariff-guide

You'll be able to compare charges there for each of the Talk packages. The charges are no different whether you have Sky VOIP or standard calls.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@peterg...... wrote:

As @Mark39 indicates, like most big telcos Sky do not yet offer 'free' (or discounted) voice calls even when the call itself is made end-to-end using VOIP: they charge the same pence-per-minute as for a traditional PSTN call (or use the same call allowance in a bundle).  As with many legacy technologies (in this case nearly 150 years) the owners are looking to wring the last bit of profit out of it before very reluctantly letting go.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by sammy1234567890 This message was authored by: sammy1234567890

I used to have Sky broadband and payed extra for the free calls to any uk landline and mobile then one day last month a sales rep from sky called and said i could upgarde to fibre and would only cost me an extra £1.50 more than i am paying now, told him no but he kept on and on about faster speed and free internet calls so i told him ok.

Now i find out after checking my bill, i'am paying £5.50 more than i was before and have to pay for my calls on top.

I got my mum, who's a pensioner a great deal on her broadband and calls from BT (surprise)

she used to only have a landline (as she didn't even know what the internet was)., which she used for emergencys only and was charged £29.99 a month and extra for any calls she made from italk, (yeh i never heard of them either, some sales rep called to her door and being elderly... etc .. etc.)

She now has Full fibre, ok its only 39mb min, a new free digital wireless phone and 700 minutes of free internet calls all delivered and installed free for the mere sum of £15 a month.

So you can get free intrnet calls, just not with Sky.

Solution - Phone is now unplugged,  i will use my mobile which has free calls to any landline or mobile with O2 (BT) and wait for my Sky contact to end.

@sammy1234567890 wrote:

She now has Full fibre, ok its only 39mb min, a new free digital wireless phone and 700 minutes of free internet calls all delivered and installed free for the mere sum of £15 a month.

So you can get free intrnet calls, just not with Sky.

Interesting. Can you post a link to this offer?

This message was authored by sammy1234567890 This message was authored by: sammy1234567890

@Mark39 

Sure no problem, its called BT Home Essentials Broadband and the link is...

broadband/home-essentials

Hope this is of some help.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sammy1234567890 

@Mark39 

That's the BT version of a social tariff, which is somewhat more generous than its Sky equivalent.

Any ISP could choose to bundle a call allowance with their VOIP product: my real beef with Sky is the use of the word 'Free' alongside the phrase 'Sky Talk Internet Calls' on bills.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion