Discussion topic: BT engineer advising need VOIP phone to work with new Ultrafast router. Please help!

This message was authored by Gi1 This message was authored by: Gi1

BT engineer advising need VOIP phone to work with new Ultrafast router. Please help!

We have sky talk on a an old router and were advised to upgrde to new ultrafast and keep sky talk.  Engineer arrived today and advised current phones will not work with the new router?  Need to buy VOIP phones. As the phone is ciritical for elederly parents engineer left without completing any work.  

So I am getting conflcting advise and dont know what to do!  Sky advise plug old phones into UK socket on back of new router and they will work?

Who is right the BT engineer or SKY? I cannot be left with no working landline.

Please help!

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: BT engineer advising need VOIP phone to work with new Ultrafast router. Please help!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gi1  It depends on your current phone type? If it was working on the older broadband service it will work with the new VOIP service.

Any standard plug in phone that can be purchased from the likes of Amazon, Argos etc will with with the Sky VOIP service.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: BT engineer advising need VOIP phone to work with new Ultrafast router. Please help!

@Gi1 you definitely don't need to buy a VOIP phone. It won't work with Sky Talk. Sky is right.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Gi1 wrote:

Who is right the BT engineer or SKY? I cannot be left with no working landline.

Unfortunately the Openreach representative was entirely incorrect, and really shouldn't be spreading such misinformation: by doing so they are actively disrupting the process leading up to PSTN switch-off in 2025.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion