Discussion topic: Sky+ Remote Control Range

This message was authored by Impos2004 This message was authored by: Impos2004

Sky+ Remote Control Range

I had Sky+ installed a couple of days ago and the remote has a range of just 5 feet. Having spoken to Sky on the phone it appears as though this is the normal maximum range of a Sky+ remote. 

How can that be? You have to be within 5 feet of the box to use the remote control? 

Has anyone else experienced this? Can it be improved? There are no obstructions and I have a straight viewing angle. 

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sky+ Remote Control Range

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I haven't seen similar problems reported on the forum. My Sky+ remote was fine from 6-7 -feet. Range can be affected by light falling directly on the sensor on the front panel of the box. Can only suggest trying a different remote.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Impos2004 Mine works from the next room (with direct line of sight), so at least 15 ft

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
Impos2004
Topic Author

@oj01 The remote still operates the tv at a distance (10+ ft), so I suspect that it may be the antenna on the box that's causing the issue, rather than the remote?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Impos2004 wrote:

@oj01 The remote still operates the tv at a distance (10+ ft), so I suspect that it may be the antenna on the box that's causing the issue, rather than the remote?

Possibly, though there are no reports of a similar problem, so it doesn't seem very likely. The only way to be sure would be to replace the box.

This message was authored by jim8sky This message was authored by: jim8sky

@Impos2004 

As already mentioned it can very much depend on your set up.

e.g. bright sunshine, bright lights etc can interfere with the signal, the angle at which you are pointing the remote.

I know in my own set up I have much better infra red response on all my remotes in the evening with curtains drawn than I do on a bright sunnny day.

This message was authored by brigader This message was authored by: brigader

We bought a replacement Sky+ box and remote recently and the range of the new remote is about 5 feet. I have spoken to Sky and have been told that the maximum range of only 5-6 feet. I find that very difficult to accept as the volume control button on the remote works perfectly well, but none of numbers or channel change will work. There are no obstructions, no light falling on the devices, and every other handset (e.g. for dvd, etc.) operates at greater distances. Also, the old remote control for our old box worked from the far side of the room, some 12 feet away.

I find that Sky staff sometimes just make excuses up!!!

Is there any adjustment that can be made, or booster available, or shall we just give up and move back to Freeview?

@brigader I'm not sure anything can be done to make your remote work any better but I bought a replacement remote from Sky (Star Wars branded) and it works perfectly well from the kitchen into the living room at least 20 feet away with direct line of sight. Five feet sounds ridiculous. 

Staying on Sky+HD
Impos2004
Topic Author

I had the same issue, initially the staff were unhelpful, the problem was the same. It turned out that the fault laid with a faulty antenna in the sky+ box. They swapped the box out and it solved the issue. They also raised a complaint on my behalf about they way I had been dismissed by sky staff previously and were very supportive.

Maybe it's the same issue for you? 

This message was authored by Icjordan43 This message was authored by: Icjordan43

We changed our Sky+ box yesterday (didnt have to, just seemed a good idea) and the new box and remote only talk to each other from that short distance mentioned. I'm pretty sure if we had kept the old box and remote, it would have been fine!

Maybe it's a ruse to get you to go SkyQ!!

Annoying beyond belief.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

One of our Sky+ boxes gets the signal over 15 feet way but the other struggles with 7 feet, my theory is that after a deade or two of use the IR reciever degrades and requires a stronger transmitter as both my LG TV and Xbox one x's IR senders have more luck than the official Sky remote

This message was authored by brigader This message was authored by: brigader

Good morning. 

Thank you for your reply. I agree with you that it is likely to be the box rather than the remote because the volume control on the Sky remote will operate the volume on the tv from more than 12 feet away whereas the other buttons to the Sky box are limited to a range of about 5 feet. Who did you contact to make arrangements to change your box and sort the problem. The only people I eventually manage to speak to do nothing useful, and simply declare everything as 'amazing', 'wonderful', etc.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

You could use the Sky+ app or a FREE mobile app, I have both of these and as they use my network I can control the box from down the road 🙂

@brigader If you are looking to change your box, the easiest way is to source one on e bay or similar. But, as new ones haven't been made in years, you run the risk of it not being any better than yours. 

Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by simster99 This message was authored by: simster99

I got a brand new Sky+HD box from Sky for £30. They only do 500Gb which is ok my old one was that. But it came with all the cables and a brand new remote! In a shop the remote is £24! Result. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion