Discussion topic: On demand download failure Sky+ on 2 boxes

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by KevU66 This message was authored by: KevU66

Re: On demand download failure Sky+ on 2 boxes

Just to let you know that I have exactly the same problem on my Sky+ box, and it also started on Tuesday evening. Download failures with content unavailable on all channels except bbc and itv. Feels like some IT failure happened at Sky's end at that time. 

This message was authored by Kayelaina This message was authored by: Kayelaina

Thanks @KevU66 . Glad I am not going bonkers! I emailed viewerR@sky.uk so they should be aware something is wrong. Just waiting for a response.

This message was authored by MogwaiSatTV This message was authored by: MogwaiSatTV

I am also having the same issues. When I contact Sky via direct message on Twitter all I was told is

" We are aware of a technical issue that can prevent downloads for some customers if your network provider uses a specific protocol. We don't have a workaround for it and we've to ask you to keep trying as it will work after some time but you may need a few attempts."

Thanks @MogwaiSatTV . That seems like a very unhelpful response from Sky. I have tried 20 times on The last of us and no joy. Just fails everytime. There have been no changes in my provider so not sure why it would be fine Monday and then not work on Tuesday!

This message was authored by Gavi+B This message was authored by: Gavi+B

+1
Exactly the same symptoms (all channels except BBC/ITV) , error message (Failed) and reason (Item Unavailable).

This message was authored by MogwaiSatTV This message was authored by: MogwaiSatTV

I did try and explain that if each ISP did actually use different protocols the whole internet would not function. But that did not get me very far.

I have submitted a complaint via email. So I will see if that gets me anywhere. I am not holding my breath.

It certainly sounds like a very poor excuse and really makes little sense. I have also emailed. Fingers crossed they sort it soon. They charge enough so should ar least provide the service we pay for.

Newest response from the Social media team

"I cannot give you the exact details of what the team are doing to resolve this issue. We are treating this as a priority and we'll get a solution out to you as soon as we can. I'm sorry we cannot give you a timescale for this. Thanks, Heather"

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If the issue is OUTSIDE Skys control then what do you expect them to do about it

I would direct my frustrations to my ISP if I had the issue

It isn't though if On Demand works for BBC and ITV content and nothing else.

This message was authored by johnand+sylvia This message was authored by: johnand+sylvia

I had the same problem

Spoke with ISP who blamed SKY

Spoke to SKY who blamed ISP then said only option was SKYQ

I then changed my ISP ROUTER for a spare one and SUCCESS

All channels now downloading as previously 

This message was authored by RobertW78 This message was authored by: RobertW78

Same issue in Ireland so it is a sky issue.

This message was authored by Gavi+B This message was authored by: Gavi+B

My ISP is Sky and I have the exact same issue, so they've nowhere to run! 🙄

Response to the email 

"

Please be informed that we have investigated this issue and found that customers, experiencing this issue, the customer's ISP (internet service provider) is using a network protocol called CGNAT (Carrier Grade NAT). This converts the customer's Private IPv4 address to a Public IPv4 network address for a connection to the internet.

This allows customers to share the same public IPv4 address with other customers because there is a limited amount of public IPv4 addresses available to the ISP, CGNAT allows the ISP to reuse the limited amount of IPv4 addresses.

As these public IPv4 addresses are shared between all the 3rd party broadband providers' customers, if any two customers are using the same address to access the Sky on-demand catalogue, our CDN (Content distribution network) will block the downloads as this can be seen as an attack on our network.

The only workaround is to try again later."

In my case I think this is not what is going on as I have a static ip address and have done for many years.

I have replied to say I have a static ip and to also ask why then does BBC and ITV content download without issue.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion