Discussion topic: Missing Translation Subtitles

This message was authored by matie This message was authored by: matie

Missing Translation Subtitles

Hi I have subtitles on screen permanently but for some time now I have  been having issues with them.  When watching English speaking programmes and the subtitles are at the top of the screen  they are cut in half but appear normally when on the bottom of the screen.  With foreign language programmes or excerpts the translation subtitles are missing altogether.  Either they are below the screen or not appearing, obviously I have no way of knowing.

I would greatly appreciate some advice as I enjoy foreign crime dramas which I can no longer watch.  I'm viewing on a 22 inch Samsung television if that is of any relevance.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01 Answer

Re: Missing Translation Subtitles

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@matie It sounds like you might have inadvertently altered the picture ratio on your TV, stretching it beyond the viewable area. To try and rectify this press the TV button on the Sky remote followed by the Play button. Repeated presses of the Play button should cycle through different aspect ratios. Once you get the one that fills the screen correctly press the Sky button to resume control of your Sky box. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Can you confirm this relates to Sky+?

matie
Topic Author

The writing on the box is Sky+HD

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@matie  Your make of TV is irrelevent in this case,.

Which channels are affected as most on Sky are Engliush language with the exception of a handful of International channels.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

I agree with @GD1 . I've never come across an issue such as this with a Sky+HD box.

matie
Topic Author

I'm only have Sky Essentials which is mostly channels similar or the same as Freeview so it's happening on English speaking channels.  The dramas are usually on BBC4, More4 sometimes Channel 4 and it can happen on any news or documentary series in fact any station where translation subtitles should be appearing even for viewers with English subtitles turned off.

I hope you can make sense of that as reading it back it sounds a bit convoluted to me.

Sky subtitles are displayed only when you have them turned on. Any other subtitle must be coming from somewhere else, either broadcast as  part of the programme itself or elsewhere.

matie
Topic Author

My English subtitles are turned on permanently.  The translation subtitles which appear when a foreign lanuage is being spoken appear for all viewers otherwise not many people in the UK would know what was being said.

matie
Topic Author

I learned something new last night I was surfing the channels and came across The Beatles on the BBC.  I found that I had the subtitles as usual but I could only view the first line of the yellow information  banner at the bottom of the screen.  I can only assume the rest is below the level of my screen (if that makes any sense). 

I haven't changed my television and nor deliberately altered any settings so I am at a loss to know whats happened.  I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you Mark39 and GD1 for your help yesterday.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01 Answer

@matie It sounds like you might have inadvertently altered the picture ratio on your TV, stretching it beyond the viewable area. To try and rectify this press the TV button on the Sky remote followed by the Play button. Repeated presses of the Play button should cycle through different aspect ratios. Once you get the one that fills the screen correctly press the Sky button to resume control of your Sky box. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
matie
Topic Author

Thank you oj01 I think your explanation might be the answer to my problem.  Following your instructions I changed the ratio of my television screen and the subtitles did appear more fully.  I have yet to try it when it's translation subtitles but I now appear to have more room at the bottom of my screen for them to show up when needed. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion