Discussion topic: Magic eye - 2 tvs just stopped!

This message was authored by Magic+required This message was authored by: Magic+required

Magic eye - 2 tvs just stopped!

Hi - I have sky on main tv with 2 x magic eyes on 2 other tvs I used one earlier today however now neither of them are working! Red lights are on - no change to the wiring or set up? HVe switched off at mains and retried - same problem! Anyone help me please? 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Magic eye - 2 tvs just stopped!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Can you tell us about your setup? Are you using an amplified splitter to connect your magic eyes? Does your Sky box have an RF2 socket or are you using an IO Link adaptor?

Magic+required
Topic Author
This message was authored by Magic+required This message was authored by: Magic+required

Bless you, this is where I am hopeless- i don't know the answers. I had it set up for me years ago and all has been well (I just watch the tv!)  I like to be able to go from one room to another and watch same show and see same list of recordings - hence not going to sky q.  Anyway, thanks for replying.  Ridiculously I went in the loft a few mins ago and picked up the box (with blue light on)  checked the light and connections, all seemed ok

-when I came back down all is well again.  This is back of tv in kitchen! Really odd but thankfully both TVs are working again. 

image.jpg

Main thing is it's OK again 🙂

The box with the blue light will be the amplified splitter I asked about. Most likely the connections at the splitter had oxidised a little, as happens over time, and you checking the connections has removed the oxidation so that it all works again.

Magic+required
Topic Author

well, the saga sadly goes on! All worked ok for the rest of the day then sadly stopped the next day and is still not working o.n the 2 x extra TVs through magic eyes. I have unplugged everything, checked the connections again in the loft and although the eyes both have red lights on the controllers just have no effect.  

Has theee been a software change in the sky system as this seems rather strange? 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Magic+required wrote:

well, the saga sadly goes on! All worked ok for the rest of the day then sadly stopped the next day and is still not working o.n the 2 x extra TVs through magic eyes. I have unplugged everything, checked the connections again in the loft and although the eyes both have red lights on the controllers just have no effect.  

Has theee been a software change in the sky system as this seems rather strange? 

No, no software update to Sky+HD boxes for nearly a year, and that was only to correct the clock issue last October. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

@Magic+required sorry to hear it has stopped working again. As @oj01 posted, it's not the result of any change to the Sky box firmware.

The fact that both magic eyes have failed simultaneously narrows down the possible failure points to the Sky box's RF2 output, the cable from the RF2 socket to the amplified splitter, the connections at either or both ends of the cable or the splitter itself.

It's unlikely to be a fault with your Sky box (there's a way to test it, if you wish) or the cable itself unless it has been disturbed.

More likely are the connections unless the connectors were either soldered to the cable or factory fitted. They're rarely installed for reliability. Or failure of the amplified splitter.

Magic+required
Topic Author

Just thought I'd raise this again as all the options discussed have been checked..

i have main tv with hd box and connected in the loft down to two TVs with magic eyes.

I have lovely sky pictures on both TVs and the red light is on magic eye.

when I change Chanel on main tv all TVs change channel, perfect! Only problem is the that I can only get the remote to work on the main tv.  

the other TVs don't react to the remote being pressed near them (which always used to work)

magic eye lights both  on

blue light on in the loft cables all connected well, had tv installer check them.

he said I could perhaps change the amplifier in the loft-what do you think? 

So strange and  that both magic eyes can not be controlled by the remotes.  

I can manage but it's just not ideal. You know I will be watching something on record and want to fast forward but it doesn't work!!

I have tried the sky remote on my phone but it seems to be quite flaky

@Magic+required wrote:

he said I could perhaps change the amplifier in the loft-what do you think?

Yes, as I mentioned before, failure of the amplified splitter could certainly be the cause, bearing in mind that both magic eyes are affected.

Magic+required
Topic Author

Thank you, I shall get one and sorry I missed this previously. You certainly know your stuff! I am an absolute Luddite!  I just wondered if you would be able to recommend a good amplifier please? 

No worries! If it were me, I'd go for Labgear or Antiference, who have been around for decades, and avoid Philex and SLX.

Look for the gain in dB shown on your current splitter and choose a model with similar gain. 

Make sure it's shown as magic eye compatible or allows DC passhrough, or better provides its own 12v dc power on each of the outputs.

Magic+required
Topic Author

Thanks again, and for your time.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion