Discussion topic: How do I stop the Sky HD+ box asking for the pin to watch a program?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: How do I stop the Sky HD+ box asking for the pin to watch a program?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bpmcg wrote:

no personal freedom anymore 

Incidentally, when do you imagine it was that television used to transmit anything at any time, before 'big brother' clamped down and took that particular 'freedom' away?  Every country in the world sets 'taste and decency' limits on broadcast media and always has done.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Tim1718 This message was authored by: Tim1718

I appreciate what Sky is doing, although I really don't agree with it, but yesterday I turned on the TV and Sky and the channel it was on was asking for the pin, this was about 7AM, the program that required the pin was an old 80's light entertainment program "Through the Keyhole" where a panel try to guess who's home some chap is looking through, this is madness, I can't think of a more Pre-Watershed type of program, have Sky gone nuts, are they soon going to ask for a pin for childrens programs too ?

TGB
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

See the previous posts here about mandatory daytime protection which Sky is required by OFCOM to enforce.

I think you missed my point, the program that asked for a pin was an old Light Entertainment panel show, no bad language, no violence, absolutely nothing that could offend, just a totally rediculious program to have a pin requirement, it's going totally mad.

TGB
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

But we have got to protect the kids 😈 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

@Tim1718 no, I understood your reply perfectly, but it looks as though you didn't understand mine. It's an OFCOM requirement. By all means complain to them.

I agree with you that the nanny state appears to have no borders.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Tim1718

Some PIN application is undoubtedly erroneous, but that doesn't mean a regulated platform can switch it off as a feature or permit users to do so.

This message was authored by Brian+Richards This message was authored by: Brian+Richards

You're right there mate.....more ads than programs and (Removed)......that's why I Normally stick to BBC

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate language 

This message was authored by Robbo9981 This message was authored by: Robbo9981

This is no pain when browsing on now TV or sky  q box ? So why this? Well never use to be 

Pretty sure mandatory daytime protection, i.e. the need for a PIN, is implemented the same way whether it's on Sky Q or Sky+ (where you've posted).

Seriously though, you have to laugh at some of the programs that require a pin now, they are showing old re-runs of the Crystal Maze and it requires a pin to view, what on earth is offensive in that program, no sex/violence/bad language etc. etc. just a family friendly show.

TGB

@Robbo9981 wrote:

This is no pain when browsing on now TV or sky  q box ? 

There's definitely a PIN on Q: try turning to Sky Atlantic pretty much any time during the day.

Today's 09:00 to 21:00 lineup is

The Sopranos, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Gomorrah, Gomorrah, The Sopranos, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Wire, Game of Thrones 

and those all require Mandatory Daytime Protection or they could not be broadcast pre-watershed without attracting a very significant penalty from Ofcom.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion