Discussion topic: How do I stop the Sky HD+ box asking for the pin to watch a program?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: How do I stop the Sky HD+ box asking for the pin to watch a program?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@NeilFa  Again the current law doesn't allow it

raise your concern with ofcom 

Nope: raise your concern with your MP.

Don't hold your breath though: they aren't exactly likely to queue up to get declared by the Telegraph as being in favour of 'exposing children to TV smut'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
NeilFa
Topic Author
This message was authored by NeilFa This message was authored by: NeilFa

Indeed! With a minority of SJW extremists, with Social Media giving them a loud speaker to push their feelies antics, condemning (smearing) any common sense people (MPs).

Anyhoo!

Best bet for the Sky PIN is just set it to something simple. Ours is just 2222 so quick/easy to enter...

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

The new White Paper published by the current government suggests extending regulation of video on demand services, so we could well see similar prompts on Netflix, etc when watching adult rated content during the day.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@rscott wrote:

so we could well see similar prompts on Netflix, etc when watching adult rated content during the day.

It's clearly an anomaly that this isn't the case, particularly when the (unregulated) streaming services have dedicated buttons on the (regulated) TV remote.  Rather awkward to implement though: presumably an 'adult' Netflix profile would require a PIN up-front, which they'll hate.

This message was authored by Spot-The-Cat This message was authored by: Spot-The-Cat

The main problem with this is if you have a teenager then they'll need the PIN to watch programmes that are 12 or over and that means giving them the same PIN to watch anything (E.g. 18+) and even order stuff from BoxOffice. Or have I somehow missed the point?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Spot-The-Cat wrote:

The main problem with this is if you have a teenager then they'll need the PIN to watch programmes that are 12 or over and that means giving them the same PIN to watch anything (E.g. 18+) and even order stuff from BoxOffice. Or have I somehow missed the point?

No you haven't missed the point - there's only one PIN which serves all PIN-controlled functions, I'm afraid.

The bottom line, I guess, is that if your teenager can't use the PIN responsibly, you might have to withhold it completely.

This message was authored by Pfffffffft This message was authored by: Pfffffffft

I have everything turned off on parental settings yet it still ask for pin on anything that's not a cartoon spoke to sky on phone told me to do exactly what I have already done think it's time to end contract the sound quality is no good advertisement all the time even though your paying a subscription I'm paying over 100£ a month to enter my pin a million times watch countless adverts and to top it off the sound quality is very poor I don't bother with apps though sky because the sound is so bad just stream though tv sound is excellent these boxes are just the pits 

@Pfffffffft there are no apps on Sky+ boxes.

I'm not aware of any sound issues either, with any Sky equipment so either your box is faulty or there's a settings issue. 

If you're paying over £100 per month for Sky TV, you're paying list price, and you could be paying less by negotiating a deal.

31 days notice required to cancel.

This message was authored by Pfffffffft This message was authored by: Pfffffffft

SkyQ the sound issue is if your using a sound bar or external speaker system if you just using tv speakers you would not be aware of the issue I've looked on forums and the sound issue is well known lots of complaints 

@Pfffffffft wrote:

SkyQ the sound issue is if your using a sound bar or external speaker system if you just using tv speakers you would not be aware of the issue I've looked on forums and the sound issue is well known lots of complaints 

Probably best to post on the Sky Q forum here: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/bd-p/skyq

However,  I had no issues with using a 5.1 home theatre set up with Sky Q prior to switching to Sky Glass.

@Pfffffffft wrote:

I don't bother with apps though sky

This is the Sky+ forum: Sky+ doesn't (and can't, and never will) host apps.

This message was authored by Seels This message was authored by: Seels

Press the home button

Go down to settings and select

Go to Parental and select Manage Parental Settings

Enter your pin and turn off Family Setting. Your Pin is no longer required to watch restrictioned content. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Seels wrote:

Press the home button

Go down to settings and select

Go to Parental and select Manage Parental Settings

Enter your pin and turn off Family Setting. Your Pin is no longer required to watch restrictioned content. 

You will still get PIN prompted for content that is viewed outside its watershed, you cannot fully disable the PIN requests

This message was authored by Bpmcg This message was authored by: Bpmcg

Too much big brother no personal freedom anymore 

@Bpmcg 

In this case 'freedom' is actually provided by the PIN, because otherwise the channels concerned wouldn't be broadcasting such content in those time-slots at all...

Statement: Review of the mandatory daytime protection rules in the Ofcom Broadcasting Code

Statement published 5 November 2018

The Ofcom Broadcasting Code (“the Code”) allows for films rated up to ‘15’ by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) to be broadcast during the daytime on premium subscription channels and up to ‘18’ on pay per view film channels, provided that they are protected by a mandatory PIN code. This form of protection is called mandatory daytime protection (“MDP”) and cannot be removed or bypassed by viewers.

Following our consultation in March 2018, this document sets out Ofcom’s decision to extend the application of the MDP rules in the Code to permit scheduled television channels to show programmes, which can currently only be shown after the 9pm watershed, before this time, but only if mandatory daytime protection is in place.

Ofcom has carefully considered all consultation responses in reaching this decision and this statement concludes the review. The revisions to the relevant rules to extend MDP beyond premium film content will come into force on 1 January 2019.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/mandatory-daytime-protection 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion