Discussion topic: Channels not working

This message was authored by Gregj79 This message was authored by: Gregj79

Channels not working

Hi,

I have a recurring problem where one of my Sky HD box stops showing certain channels. (I have 3 Sky+ HD boxes around the house)

The main one in the lounge will suddenly stop recognising what sky packages we are on and not show certain channels such as Sky Atlantic type channels, sports channels or movie channels. The latest issue has happened over the Xmas holiday and if I try to watch Sky Atlantic it says we need to upgrade our package.

This has happened many many times. The issue gets fixed each time when I call Sky and they send a booster signal / reset the signal or however that process is described. Each time I heve to spend between 10 and 60 minutes on the phone to Sky. The Sky employees I speak with put it down to our old boxes and try to get me to upgrade to newer equipment but I don’t think that’s the real reason this type of error with the signal keeps happening. Is this a trick used to get people to upgrade? I don’t want to upgrade the system. I’ve had a Sky engineer out and they thought the current set up is still the best one for our use. (3 Sky+ HD boxes, each with a RF connection enabling viewing in other rooms, e.g my lounge box also can be viewed on the kitchen tv as well as the lounge tv. 

I’m actually considering ditching Sky completely.

However before doing that I’m interested to know if this is a common thing for Sky+ HD users or can this be resolved by Sky so that I don’t have this error reoccurring. 

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Channels not working

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Try performing a New Install

See question Q21 in my Sky Plus F⋅A⋅Q

Additional help with your viewing card can be found here
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Channels not working

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gregj79 wrote:

The Sky employees I speak with put it down to our old boxes and try to get me to upgrade to newer equipment but I don’t think that’s the real reason this type of error with the signal keeps happening. Is this a trick used to get people to upgrade? 

Sky+ HD is an obsolete platform with a heritage going back to Sky+ two decades ago, and HD hardware hasn't been manufactured since 2015.  There's no 'trick' here: Sky would very much prefer no-one to still be using what's now very much a minority platform which is increasingly difficult (and so expensive) for them to support, and so you're likely to find there will no longer be 'engineer' availability.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion