Discussion topic: Dolby vision set up sky stream

This message was authored by tj68 This message was authored by: tj68

Dolby vision set up sky stream

Hi newbie here set up sky stream box  set it to 2160 & auto on sky puck using lg c2 tv with sonos beam, dolby atmos works great but I am only seeing hlg hdr not dolby vision on uhd hdr & uhd movies, am I being dumb or missing something? On my apple tv box it comes up dolby vision & dolby atmos in top right corner of tv, but I only getting hlg hdr coming up not dolby vision, I have set tv to deep colour , help please

All Replies

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Re: Dolby vision set up sky stream

@tj68 wrote:

Hi newbie here set up sky stream box  set it to 2160 & auto on sky puck using lg c2 tv with sonos beam, dolby atmos works great but I am only seeing hlg hdr not dolby vision on uhd hdr & uhd movies, am I being dumb or missing something? On my apple tv box it comes up dolby vision & dolby atmos in top right corner of tv, but I only getting hlg hdr coming up not dolby vision, I have set tv to deep colour , help please

No Sky content is in Dolby Vision, only third party app content (Netflix/Disney+/Prime/AppleTV+)

Sky uses the HLG format of HDR for its programming, be it on Sky Cinema or Sky Sports. 

tj68
Topic Author
This message was authored by tj68 This message was authored by: tj68

Many thanks I can stop trying to find it now

This message was authored by 909090 This message was authored by: 909090

Just to let you know, I spoke with technical support at SkyStream today. After completing a thorough investigation into the matter, it appears that Dolby Vision isn’t currently supported via the SkyStream box. Any Dolby Vision content accessible via third-party apps like Apple TV+, Netflix, or Disney+ will be available in HDR+ format instead.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@909090 wrote:

Just to let you know, I spoke with technical support at SkyStream today. After completing a thorough investigation into the matter, it appears that Dolby Vision isn’t currently supported via the SkyStream box. Any Dolby Vision content accessible via third-party apps like Apple TV+, Netflix, or Disney+ will be available in HDR+ format instead.

Sorry, but what you've been told is nonsense. 
Dolby Vision is supported by those third party apps, as long as the puck is connected to a TV which supports Dolby Vision. 
HDR+ is not an HDR format. Sky Stream supports HLG, HDR10 & Dolby Vision. 

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@909090 wrote:

That's not true I'm afraid.  It does support Dolby Vision 

Hi @Padam_Padam and @Dazzasky 

I spent hours on the phone with Sky this week. I've tried to access Dolby Vision content on Sky Stream via Disney Plus, Apple TV Plus, or Netflix. It clearly states that the content is available in Dolby Vision. Unfortunately, when I play it on the Sky Stream box, the content shows in HDR+. However, when I access the same apps via the Apple TV box, Dolby Vision is displayed correctly. My TV is Dolby Vision compatible. I swapped HDMI cables, etc., and rebooted the box itself. No hope. On my Apple TV box, everything works great. Unfortunately, no luck with Sky Stream.

I would really appreciate your advice on this matter many thanks 

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@909090 

What is the make/model if your TV? Do you have the HDMI input set to enhanced? Are you using the HDMI cable supplied with the puck? 
TBH if you already have an Apple TV box then you're better off using the apps on it. You'll get proper frame rate matching and higher bit rates from Apple TV+. 

@909090 wrote:

Hi @Padam_Padam and @Dazzasky 

I spent hours on the phone with Sky this week. I've tried to access Dolby Vision content on Sky Stream via Disney Plus, Apple TV Plus, or Netflix. It clearly states that the content is available in Dolby Vision. Unfortunately, when I play it on the Sky Stream box, the content shows in HDR+. However, when I access the same apps via the Apple TV box, Dolby Vision is displayed correctly. My TV is Dolby Vision compatible. I swapped HDMI cables, etc., and rebooted the box itself. No hope. On my Apple TV box, everything works great. Unfortunately, no luck with Sky Stream.

I would really appreciate your advice on this matter many thanks 

What make of tv do you have @909090 

LG OLED65B36LA

@Dazzasky 

I have a LG OLED65B36LA TV 

thanks 

@909090 wrote:

LG OLED65B36LA

Have you tried an HDMI 2.1 cable? Is the TV's software up to date? Have you given it a reboot too? 

@909090 wrote:

@Dazzasky 

I have a LG OLED65B36LA TV 

thanks 

I take it you have your hdmi port set to enhanced on the television?

I've tried using both a 2.1 HDMI Belkin cable and one supplied by Sky. The TV has the latest software installed, and I've rebooted the box every time I changed cables. The HDMI port is designated for enhanced 4K. Regarding settings on the Sky stream, picture settings are configured for UHD. However, there's still no sign of Dolby Vision; any content in Dolby Vision is displaying in HDR+ on my TV. I'm running out of ideas. I'm confident that my TV is fine because the Apple TV 4K box has no issues accessing Dolby Vision.

@909090 

What about if you swap the Stream puck and the Apple TV box around? If you get Dolby Vision then you'll know it's something to do with the other HDMI port on the TV.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion