Discussion topic: Trolls 2 priced at £17.99 just to rent tonight? Not to buy the DVD? Why so expensive?

This message was authored by LL+AA This message was authored by: LL+AA

Trolls 2 priced at £17.99 just to rent tonight? Not to buy the DVD? Why so expensive?

We are wanting to rent the Trolls 2 film off sky store and have just seen its priced at £!7.99 jst to rent not to buy woth the DVD... Is this a mistake from Sky?  Why so expensive?

Any thoughts?

All Replies

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: Trolls 2 priced at £17.99 just to rent tonight? Not to buy the DVD? Why so expensive?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LL+AA Isn't it £15.99?

Could a family watch it at the cinema for less? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

Re: Trolls 2 priced at £17.99 just to rent tonight? Not to buy the DVD? Why so expensive?

Hi @LL+AA 

I'm sure @oj01 is right about the price - so while on the face of it, it seems crazy expensive,  I don't think it's necessarily a question of profiteering by Sky as the £15.99 looks to be a set price on all platforms 

As I understand it the price is agreed between the "platform" and Universal Studios, with them (as the distributor) taking quite a chunk of the £15.99

As @oj01  says, Univeral would normally have had thousands of cinemas showing this at around £30 for a family of 4, for a few weeks and bringing in a few £m.  So sort of, in a way,  you can hardly blame them for trying to make a percentage of that back 

I'm sure there will be a cheaper deal in a month or two ?

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

This message was authored by Quasimofo This message was authored by: Quasimofo

The price of movies in Sky Store is a disgrace. We already pay through the nose for Sky and yet they still charge more than the price of a cinema ticket to 'rent' it. No company milks the life out of their customers quite like Sky. As soon as Virgin media is available in my area, I'm gone. 

This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

If you are referring to £15.99 Premiere rentals @Quasimofo I think you'll find these prices are set by the studios and are standard across all platforms 

and to be fair to the studios I guess they are just trying to make up for income lost as customers avoid the cinema - at least we have a choice of paying or not paying 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Quasimofo Whether it's 'more than the cost of a cinema ticket' would depend on how many people are going to watch it when you rent it. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Quasimofo wrote:

The price of movies in Sky Store is a disgrace.

You don't have to pay the £15.99 because a few months down the line the rental price for these films will be reduced to the more standard price as this has been what has happened with previous films that have been part of the "Sky Store Premier" a price of which you will see is the same elsewhere due ti it being set by the studios.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion