Discussion topic: Using Ethernet and Wi-Fi with Sky Q and mini boxes at the same time

This message was authored by fOXYjR This message was authored by: fOXYjR

Using Ethernet and Wi-Fi with Sky Q and mini boxes at the same time

First time poster, so be gentle!

Firstly a bit of background...

After many years of poor internet service from Openreach/Sky due to living in a rural location, I've finally managed to get FTTP through a government funded rural scheme. I'm now receiving a stable 600/100mbs internet service. This compared to the 5/0.5mbs with my previous FTTC connection.

My house also has many thick walls and relatively long distances between devices, so at the same time installed Lynksys mesh Wi-Fi which consists of the main access point and 2 nodes.

I thought that was all my problems solved, but it was only the beginning!

All of my sky products now require perpetual attention and reconnecting to each other and the Wi-Fi, none of the boxes want to remain connected to either/or the Q main box or the internet.  With the previous Sky hub everything worked a treat - most of the time!

My set-up is as follows:

Sky Q 2TB UHD main box - Lounge

2 x Mini Boxes - bedrooms

1 x Mini Box - kitchen

1 x Sky Booster (required for connection to the kitchen mini)

Lynksys mesh Wi-Fi 

I've been told by tech support that there's a compatibility issue with a third party Wi-Fi mesh systems and the Sky kit.  As such they are hard wiring my main Q box to the router by running a cable round the house.  Hopefully that will help ensure that the main box has a stable internet connection.

Once the link to the router is installed to the lounge, I was planning on fitting a gigabit switch to utilise the direct connection to the internet for other devices in the same location. TV, PS, Apple TV etc.

This is the switch I'm planning on using NETGEAR 5 Port Gigabit Network switch - https://amzn.eu/d/bsl6sDe

I should add that the Lynksys mesh Wi-Fi seems very stable with non Sky devices!

My question is as follows:

Once the Ethernet is installed to the main Q box location, can I connect the mini box in the kitchen to the same switch (which requires another external cable run) and then use this as another stable 'access' point for one of the bedroom minis to connect to wirelessly? This mini is located in the bedroom directly above the kitchen.

The other bedroom mini connects to the main box with no problem normally, just loosing internet, as it's in the room directly above it.

Will this hybrid Ethernet/Wi-Fi setup work or am I looking at a whole world of pain?

Hopefully, my explanation of the set-up makes sense, any thoughts, suggestions or advice greatfully received!

All Replies

fOXYjR
Topic Author
This message was authored by fOXYjR This message was authored by: fOXYjR

Re: Using Ethernet and Wi-Fi with Sky Q and mini boxes at the same time

Bump!😉

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion