Discussion topic: Unimpressed with Sonos Arc

This message was authored by hapazard2 This message was authored by: hapazard2

Unimpressed with Sonos Arc

Hi All

Context-checking Soundbar correctly set up.

Think this may be more Soundbar and TV than Sky issue, but wanted to cover all bases. 

We have KD49XF9005 Sony Bravia 2018, (It only has arc rather than earc etc-so realise no Dolby Atmos)

Connected using arc hdmi to Soundbar etc. Added Soundbar via the Sonos app, fine tuned to room and completed installation successfully. Unimpressed-initially thought sound still coming through TV speakers. 

As far as tv settings go: Tv is recognising external speakers and Dolby Digital Plus is shown. Correct for arc  rather than earc)

Also checked Bravia sync device list and Sonos enabled and good to go.

Not sure what else I can with Sky settings? 

It may well be that the Sonos is working, but nothing like I was expecting and certainly not “a vast upgrade on TV speakers)

Hope it’s not £800 down the Swanee.

Any advice mucho appreciated.

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Unimpressed with Sonos Arc

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@hapazard2 wrote:

Hi All

Context-checking Soundbar correctly set up.

Think this may be more Soundbar and TV than Sky issue, but wanted to cover all bases. 

We have KD49XF9005 Sony Bravia 2018, (It only has arc rather than earc etc-so realise no Dolby Atmos)

Connected using arc hdmi to Soundbar etc. Added Soundbar via the Sonos app, fine tuned to room and completed installation successfully. Unimpressed-initially thought sound still coming through TV speakers. 

As far as tv settings go: Tv is recognising external speakers and Dolby Digital Plus is shown. Correct for arc  rather than earc)

Also checked Bravia sync device list and Sonos enabled and good to go.

Not sure what else I can with Sky settings? 

It may well be that the Sonos is working, but nothing like I was expecting and certainly not “a vast upgrade on TV speakers)

Hope it’s not £800 down the Swanee.

Any advice mucho appreciated.

Thanks

hi @hapazard2 

I need to have a check with my older/smaller Sony TV so will get back to you on any settings I think may be needed (although they may be different)

The Sony may not pass through DD+ but ordinary  ARC (the Audio Return Channel) itself is sufficient for Atmos from SKY  & TV inbuilt Apps  -  you don't need eARC but that said Atmos on some content is not that different to 5.1   (particularly on Sound bars rather than dedicated separate Speaker setups)

Have you been able to test using any of the TVs inbuilt apps  - Netflix or Amazon Prime etc ?

BTW I don't have a Sonos ARC  but I think  it should be a noticeable upgrade from your TV Speakers 

P.S. What content have you tried listening to ?

Also : You may have said but can I just check that the SKY Q box set to DD or  DD+ in:

Home - Settings - Setup - Audio Visual
Digital audio output HDMI

hi again @hapazard2 

Probably not a lot of help but my basic Sony TV - that still lets me pass through DD  - only has a couple of settings I could find.

Speakers - options of TV or Audio System so set to Audio System

Digital Audio Out - Set to Auto  (rather than PCM)

This message was authored by PeteRG41 This message was authored by: PeteRG41

I used to have a Sonos Beam with my Sky Q set up.

I recall that I needed to use a higher volume to really make the speaker work properly, otherwise I didn't really hear much difference.

I also had pretty awful lip-sync problems, although this might be made worse because I have a somewhat elderly LG OLED TV - from 2018. Hopefully yours doesn't suffer the same issue.

If it does, then HDFury Arcana is a solution (although the one I bought kept crashing).

____
Pete.
hapazard2
Topic Author

Many thanks for prompt and constructive responses.

TV-yes confirms connected to speakers/surround etc.

Sky-yes DD+ is ticked.

I've never felt so underwhelmed by anything. You really have to struggle to determine if sound coming from tv or Soundbar.  Nothing like I was expecting,

Am sending parallel queries to Sony and Sonia, so will let you know.

Thanks

hapazard2
Topic Author

Even worse now. Er indoors saying she only needed volume to be on 15 to hear with tv speakers, but now has to be on about 50 for equivalent through Soundbar.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion