Discussion topic: SkyQ 2nd cable to Freeview

This message was authored by SazTonic This message was authored by: SazTonic

SkyQ 2nd cable to Freeview

Hi, I've currently got SkyQ in my living room. I also have another dual cable from the dish into a room upstairs (cables not in use currently) 

My question is - is there a way I can use these 2nd cables for viewing Freeview on my TV in upstairs room as I have no coax socket near by? Via adapter or convertor? Both cables from the dish are male F type with the thin pins. Is there such a thing as a F type male to Coax cable and would it work just plugging into TV coax socket? Didn't know if having SkyQ would be an issue when trying to get Freeview on 2nd TV.

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Re: SkyQ 2nd cable to Freeview

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @SazTonic   

If you had a standard install for Sky Q then the upstairs cables will not be connected to anything. The installer would have simply cut them.

The best solution would be to take out a multiscreen subscription and the loan of a Mini box connected to your TV. You would then have Sky on your upstairs TV.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@SazTonic wrote:

Hi, I've currently got SkyQ in my living room. I also have another dual cable from the dish into a room upstairs (cables not in use currently) 

My question is - is there a way I can use these 2nd cables for viewing Freeview on my TV in upstairs room as I have no coax socket near by? Via adapter or convertor? Both cables from the dish are male F type with the thin pins. Is there such a thing as a F type male to Coax cable and would it work just plugging into TV coax socket? Didn't know if having SkyQ would be an issue when trying to get Freeview on 2nd TV.

Thanks

Hi @SazTonic 

Freeview is terrestrial aerial and so I assume you are referring to Freesat which is the free to air satellite service.

Normally the Q LNB only has two cables for the Q Box and so any extra cable would not be connected to the dish.  That's assuming that you haven't had a Hybrid LNB installed which has options for extra cables suitable for Freesat.

SazTonic
Topic Author
This message was authored by SazTonic This message was authored by: SazTonic

There is 4 cables connected to the dish so seems the upstairs cables are still connected in some way.

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

@SazTonic wrote:

There is 4 cables connected to the dish so seems the upstairs cables are still connected in some way.

Hi @SazTonic   Either way, you cannot use the satellite cables for terrestrial freeview.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion