Discussion topic: Sky Q recorded programs stop volume from working on Soundbar

This message was authored by Angrycustomer1000 This message was authored by: Angrycustomer1000

Sky Q recorded programs stop volume from working on Soundbar

I have a strange problem that I think is something to do with my Sky Q box but I've drawn a blank in finding an answer.

• TV -> Samsung QE49Q7CAM (a few years old now)
  • Old Soundbar  -> Samsung HWJ6500R
  • New Soundbar -> Samsung HW-S800B (plus SWA-9500s speakers)

The old soundbar was connected via Bluetooth but I've opted for using ARC/HDMI for the new one (as it has Dolby Atmos). Hard wired it should find everything every time. I can reliably see the Soundbar and TV on my home router (an ultra reliable mesh setup that has a node right next to the TV).

Everything is set to Bitstream etc on all kit.

The HDMI cable for ARC 'should' be suitable as I was careful in what I chose (i.e. not an immediately obvious issue)

My old soundbar worked perfectly fine with the TV and Sky Q. However, it broke so I had to find a replacement. I mention it only to confirm that this wasn't a problem beforehand.

As a side note, on the initial setup I had a variety of problems inc the sound being weird and stopping so I unplugged everything, left it a few mins and reset everything. This worked apart from the below scenario.

The new soundbar works in every regard (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, via Blu-Ray, and across my network using Spotify), except this one strange scenario.

Watching live TV via Sky works fine. If I change volume I get my usual transparent pop up message on the TV confirming the level that I've set.

If I watch a recorded program then the volume control works for the first 5 seconds or so, but then stops working.

The volume level message doesn't show (although a pop-up still appears showing I'm connected via HDMI to the Soundbar). Nothing I do with the TV remote will fix this or change the volume. This happens reliably every time.

If I use the Soundbar remote (I'd prefer not to) I can change the volume but I don't see a pop up on the TV showing the sound level. the TV still shows that it is connected to the Soundbar via HDMI (although I suspect it is not quite as it should be).

The interesting bit is that if I change the audio input via the Soundbar remote (so cycle through until back on ARC) then everything works absolutely fine throughout the duration of the program.

If I continue with the next program in the series it continues to work.

If I go back to live TV and then choose another program, it fails as per the above. It appears that 'something' happens within the first few seconds of a program that causes the connection to be lost somehow.

If I watch a recorded program and keep going up/down on the volume I can prolong the problem (but annoy my other half). When I stop and give it a few seconds I can no longer change volume.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky Q recorded programs stop volume from working on Soundbar

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @Angrycustomer1000 

Can I just check that the SKY Q box is connected to the TV and not to the  Sound bar directly ?

What happens if you are watching live TV but then press the SKY Q Home button - does this interrupt the ability to change sound via the TV (i.e. not needing the Sound bar remote) ? 

Angrycustomer1000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Angrycustomer1000 This message was authored by: Angrycustomer1000

The TV uses a OneConnect setup (everything into a hub and then a small fibre optic cable into the TV itself - designed to hide wires). So, the Sky Q box is in HDMI-1, the soundbar is in HDMI-2 (ARC), 3 is PS4 and 4 is Blu-Ray.

Once the blip has happened I have to cycle through the Soundbar inputs until ARC is chosen again. Hope that helps explain it a little better.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @Angrycustomer1000 

It sounds like for some reason - which I don't know - the CEC signal from the SKY Q box is causing your Sound bar to think it should change inputs 

I know some people have had problems with One Connect boxes but usually to do with 4K signals 

Perhaps try turning off the HDMI control on the SKY box 

Settings - Setup - Settings Audio Visual - HDMI Control

Although that may mean that you have to select the HDMI manually when watching

Angrycustomer1000
Topic Author

Posting here in case it helps someone else.

Finally figured it all. It's the TV and not Sky.

The problems I had got worse the more I dug into things. It got to the point where pausing YouTube stopped the sound working and changing to any app on the TV caused problems.

Eventually I came at this from a different angle. I reset the TV and did everything through Sky (all of the apps etc). I found that I couldn't let Sky find the soundbar as it wouldn't do anything with the volume, however, ignoring that bit works absolutely fine (ARC/CEC maybe). All I have to do now is use the Sky remote and not the TV one. TV apps don't work well but I only need the TV zap is if I want to use the PS4 without the PS4 controller.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion