Discussion topic: Sky Q Box multi room

This message was authored by Nish1 This message was authored by: Nish1

Sky Q Box multi room

Hi All,

Recently upgraded to Sky Q, and added two mini boxes to the package. I made it clear to the sales advisor I spoke to that we wanted to be able to watch sky in 3 diffrent rooms at the same time. Fast forward a few weeks and the engineer comes over and say that the box they have provided is only a 1tb box which means only the main box and one mini can be used at the same time. For the main box and 2 mini boxes to be used at the same time we need a 2tb sky q box. Obviously I had no idea that this was the case, tried calling sky customer services while the engineer was there to see if they could sort it, but they said as there was an order in progress they couldn't so anything. Waited until today and called them again, they said yes I need a 2tb box and to upgrade it would cost me £99. I mean this is ridiculous seeing as the sales person didn't make it clear in the 1st place.  I belive the box should be free or heavily discounted. Not sure what to do in this situation does anyone have any advice? 

Thanks in advance 

All Replies

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

Re: Sky Q Box multi room

@Nish1 

You do not need a 2TB box. Customer services are as poorly trained as ever. The latest version of 1TB UHD HDR Sky Q box can host 2 mini boxes simultaneously. 

This is the box they need to supply you with:

https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/blt7f2b03fd02c7fe60/bltdec7741878331734/62d006b4008... 

It clearly states: 

Ability to support simultaneous viewing on two SkyQ Mini boxes

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nish1 wrote:

Waited until today and called them again, they said yes I need a 2tb box and to upgrade it would cost me £99. I mean this is ridiculous seeing as the sales person didn't make it clear in the 1st place.  I belive the box should be free or heavily discounted.

That's been reported here numerous times.  Typically Sky does charge to move from a 1TB non-UHD box (2016 - late 2019 vintage) to a more recent one: all you can really do is attempt to negotiate based on the premise that you should have been informed, and wouldn't have gone ahead with adding the extra Mini otherwise.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Nish1 wrote:

Hi All,

Recently upgraded to Sky Q, and added two mini boxes to the package. I made it clear to the sales advisor I spoke to that we wanted to be able to watch sky in 3 diffrent rooms at the same time. Fast forward a few weeks and the engineer comes over and say that the box they have provided is only a 1tb box which means only the main box and one mini can be used at the same time. For the main box and 2 mini boxes to be used at the same time we need a 2tb sky q box. Obviously I had no idea that this was the case, tried calling sky customer services while the engineer was there to see if they could sort it, but they said as there was an order in progress they couldn't so anything. Waited until today and called them again, they said yes I need a 2tb box and to upgrade it would cost me £99. I mean this is ridiculous seeing as the sales person didn't make it clear in the 1st place.  I belive the box should be free or heavily discounted. Not sure what to do in this situation does anyone have any advice? 

Thanks in advance 

hi @Nish1 

The newer 1TB boxes can support 2 minis not just the 2TB boxes.

it is possible that you have the older non UHD box but is it possible you do have the newer 1TB UHD box ?

( unfortunately some help pages & guides still refer to just 1TB rather than differentiate between the older & newer ones.)

Home - Settings - System Info - Hardware Version

If it is 32Cxxx then you have an older 1TB non-UHD Box Which does only support 1mini
If it is 32B2xxx then you have a (V3) UHD HDR 1TB or 2TB Box which can support 2 minis

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Nish1 

As @nigea99 indicates, it's the first model 1TB, released in 2016 without the ability to do UHD, which can only have one Mini in use.  That model was really only there to make the 'Q Silver' 2TB UHD look better.

The 1TB UHD/HDR model launched in November 2019 can have two Minis in use: this has been the default main Q box for several years now, with a 2TB version not available through web orders at all.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Nish1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nish1 This message was authored by: Nish1

Thanks for the reply all, I have the older non UHD box. So can only watch one mini box at a time. Have raised a complaint to sky so let's see how I get on thanks for you messages, much appreciated!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion