Discussion topic: Skq Q pros and Cons

This message was authored by maccafan1 This message was authored by: maccafan1

Skq Q pros and Cons

I have just had skq Q installed after email send Sky+HD was no longer supported.

Here are my first thoughts

Pro

Ability to record 5 and watch 1.

The fact that downlods etc as auto followed by next episode

Cons

Had to register for Paramount and dont seem to download anymore

The Q on front when watching recorded is ofputting wheel of colour

The Q when recording is a very pale red
No reminnder to watch a programmes.

There is only 1 HDMI out as used to link my Sky+HD via scart to a DVD/HD recorder. 

Have done this after watching a Sky Promo saying Q was the way forward but compare to Sky+HD has gone backwards after a day use.

Have ordered some items from Amazon that hope will enable me to conect to the recorder.

Marcus

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Skq Q pros and Cons

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@maccafan1 

The SCART interface is a low definition analogue connector from nearly half a century ago: there was no chance it was going to be included in Q.

Reminders have been debated in this forum for the past eight years, and I think we can safely conclude that they aren't going to happen.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
maccafan1
Topic Author

The engineer who installed said Sky dont want you to record out and guess could have put 2 HDMI out so this is what have ordered to hopefully get around the record out as have been recording Beatles and McCartney things since mid 80s when got my first VHS and whilst not much on these days still want to use the HD/DVD. Am aware am not the only done this.

Ordered
small 8k HDMI to put into  Sky
small 8k 1 to 2 HDMI spliier with switch
smallish 8kHDMI to Scart as that only way can connect.

my TV is a 4k 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@maccafan1 

External recording of commercial content simply isn't permitted by the international HDMI/HDCP standard, which was created specifically to prevent the creation of perfect digital copies: the rights owners insisted upon this.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@maccafan1 wrote:

The engineer who installed said Sky dont want you to record out and guess could have put 2 HDMI out so this is what have ordered to hopefully get around the record out as have been recording Beatles and McCartney things since mid 80s when got my first VHS and whilst not much on these days still want to use the HD/DVD. Am aware am not the only done this.

Ordered
small 8k HDMI to put into  Sky
small 8k 1 to 2 HDMI spliier with switch
smallish 8kHDMI to Scart as that only way can connect.

my TV is a 4k 

Hi @maccafan1 

Copy Protection prevents HDMI being copied.

You will not find any recording devices that have HDMI inputs - only outputs.

DVD is only SD not HD.

Likewise Scart will only transmit Analogue video which is also only SD.

Even if you have an HDMI converter there is no guarantee it will work due to Copy protection.

maccafan1
Topic Author

It is true, have set up the items received today and whilst can view via the switcher the contents of the HD/DVD recorder I cannot see live Sky Q like could see Sky + HD,.

Does anyone on here know if can put my Sky+ HD back and use the new card that is with SkyQ or if that not possible how long is Sky + HD likely to have left as guess must be lot out there.

As can guess I am not at all happy about this or the lack of reminder as used to use it all the time,

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@maccafan1 wrote:

It is true, have set up the items received today and whilst can view via the switcher the contents of the HD/DVD recorder I cannot see live Sky Q like could see Sky + HD,.

Does anyone on here know if can put my Sky+ HD back and use the new card that is with SkyQ or if that not possible how long is Sky + HD likely to have left as guess must be lot out there.

As can guess I am not at all happy about this or the lack of reminder as used to use it all the time,

Sorry @maccafan1 

SKy do not  let you revert the subscription back to SKY HD

(BTW The LNB - the electronic bit on the dish has been changed & will not work with SKY HD )

maccafan1
Topic Author

What about distance selling laws, think something must be possible or might see about getting a standard dish again from somewhere

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@maccafan1 wrote:

What about distance selling laws, think something must be possible or might see about getting a standard dish again from somewhere

SKy may let you cancel completely but won't let you revert the subscription

You can get the LNB changed back by a 3rd party but the SKY HD box would only be a dumb freesat tuner

maccafan1
Topic Author

That is not good at all

maccafan1
Topic Author

UPDATE 16/4/24

Called Sky yesterday as when called originally I should have been offered a Hybrid LNB so can either connect a dumb Sky+HD or Freesat, did ask about this bui was more bothered about trying to upgrade me to Multi Room which have never wanted and sort of forgot to ask as result.

The Sky guy called todat to swap the LNB for a hybrid one and whilst would not fit the cable has left me enough to do the job inder the house like existing cable and the fixings for both ends.

As want some recordimng facility to my Sony Hard Drive/DVD this was needed and as only connects via scart need someting will do this so have found a Freesat Hard Drive on Amazon that will do the job I need, have been recording Beatles and Solo since late 80's on VHS (now converted to DVD) and want to contine doing this.

So whilst not happy thsat cannot do this via Sky Q seems the best option have.

When callec yesterday was put through to technical team who I mentioned lack of Reminders being a big miss for Q. 

@maccafan1 wrote:

When callec yesterday was put through to technical team who I mentioned lack of Reminders being a big miss for Q. 

They'll have heard that once or twice before over the past eight years ; )

maccafan1
Topic Author

Have managed to sort out how to record to my DVD Recorder from Sky Q and it works just fine, will put together info on how done it

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion