Discussion topic: Can I connect a second mini box by Ethernet cable to my main Q box or router, when I have Sky Broadb

This message was authored by Willie+F This message was authored by: Willie+F

Can I connect a second mini box by Ethernet cable to my main Q box or router, when I have Sky Broadb

Hi,

I have Sky Q and Sky Broadband. My Q box and mini box are both connected by Wi-Fi, and all is good. I want to connect a second mini box to use in my garage. The Wi-Fi doesn't extend to there even when I use an extender or repeater, so I plan to connect this box by Ethernet cable (as I have ducting).  

Is this possible?

If so, should it be wired to the router or to the Q box?

If I connected to the router, could I split the signal to hardwire my PC (also in the garage)?

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Re: Can I connect a second mini box by Ethernet cable to my main Q box or router, when I have Sky Br

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Willie+F   With Sky broadband you should be able to connect it to your router (via Gigabit Unmanaged Switch(es)). Simply test it with your existing Mini box.

Willie+F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Willie+F This message was authored by: Willie+F

Re: Can I connect a second mini box by Ethernet cable to my main Q box or router, when I have Sky Br

Thanks, it works!

This message was authored by MJNew This message was authored by: MJNew

Hi, 

This is exactly what I want to do ...i.e. 

I.e. connect a Main Sky Q box, 2 x Sky Q Mini boxes and my Sky Broadband all together via Cat5 Ethernet to a Hub/Switch. I assume the Q Mini's are then extending the wifi network in the areas they are located (e..g a garage). 

It sounds like you made it work, which is great news! 

Can you advise of exactly how you did it please? 

- Which boxes connected to which boxes? 

- did you use a hub / switch? in which case, what product did you use? etc 

Much appreciated

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion