Discussion topic: Box

This message was authored by Maggiemcqueen This message was authored by: Maggiemcqueen

Box

Hi having problems with sky box connecting to internet.
Keeps dropping out of connection but our other devices are working fine with Wi-Fi

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Maggiemcqueen wrote:

Hi having problems with sky box connecting to internet.
Keeps dropping out of connection but our other devices are working fine with Wi-Fi

Hi @Maggiemcqueen 

Assume this is your main Q box.

Have you carried out a Network reset on the Q box exactly as follows:

Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router. Even if reset is not listed there is still an option to connect by WiFi to Sky or 3rd party router
If you are on Sky broadband you will be asked to press the WPS button on the Sky router. (Not on the Q box as the Network reset will start the main Q box WPS automatically). Make sure you press the WPS button on the Sky router and not the reset button.
if you are on 3rd party (non Sky ) broadband then you need to enter the SSID and password for the router 2.4 Ghz WiFi band.

Maggiemcqueen
Topic Author
This message was authored by Maggiemcqueen This message was authored by: Maggiemcqueen

Hi done the reset serval times and it sometimes does come back on but then loses connection again at different times 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Maggiemcqueen wrote:

Hi done the reset serval times and it sometimes does come back on but then loses connection again at different times 

Hi @Maggiemcqueen 

What sort of distance is your Q box from the broadband router?

Also who is your Broadband supplier

This message was authored by kpraff This message was authored by: kpraff

i am having exactly the same problem. Also the mini box cannot to the main Q box because it keeps dropping of our network. So everything stops working when i move away from Sky Broadband as a provider 🤔

This message was authored by kpraff This message was authored by: kpraff

hi @Maggiemcqueen @oldfella i am having exactly the same problem. Also the mini box cannot to the main Q box because it keeps dropping of our network. So everything stops working when i move away from Sky Broadband as a provider 

kpraff_0-1706376696637.png

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@kpraff wrote:

hi @Maggiemcqueen @oldfella  So everything stops working when i move away from Sky Broadband as a provider 

No, but perhaps your new provider's WiFi is interfering with the Q's own private mesh (5GHz Channel 36 / 80MHz).  Try changing the 5GHz channel.

Also, for non-Sky ISP the main connection will only use 2.4GHz.  You may wish to have a separate SSID for that (that doesn't forward to 5GHz as that will drop).

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion