Discussion topic: Sorry, bit of a rant - am I just misusing the Sky Go app?

This message was authored by SueI22 This message was authored by: SueI22

Sorry, bit of a rant - am I just misusing the Sky Go app?

Am I the only one who thinks the Sky Go app is not fit for purpose?    I got on fine with the old,  now unsupported, Sky app. But Sky Go is missing useful features and sometimes just doesn't seem to work properly.  Am  I misusing the app in some way?  Problems  I've found since   changing  to Sky Go:

1,  In the  Sky app, I could see and manage my downloads (e.g. delete a recording that  I've watched).  I've not found a  way to do this in Sky Go.

2. I can select a program to download,  but if I change my mind, there seems to be no way to deselect it.

3. The red R  that signifies something is to be recorded is very hit-and-miss.  If I record a  series,  the R usually shows up for the first program in the series, the one  I  have just requested.  It doesn't show up for any future installments, so I keep requesting the same programs.  I sometimes get a red R on random programs that I am certain I haven't requested to download.

4.  The rows in the TV guide  move independently and (seemingly)  randomly.    So when  I think I'm looking at,  say 20:00 to  22:00,  some channels will be showing an earlier or later schedule.

5. What's with BBC1?  I get that it's moving to  HD only.  Fine.  But why then is the SD channel presented at the top of the TV guide?  This means I often record  BBC1  programs in SD and then have the message about moving to HD  covering half the screen.   Also, why must I switch to the  Record tab in order to even see  BBC1?

All Replies

SueI22
Topic Author

Re: Sorry, bit of a rant - am I just misusing the Sky Go app?

Guess  I'm the  only one then 🙄

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SueI22 wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the Sky Go app is not fit for purpose?    I got on fine with the old,  now unsupported, Sky app. But Sky Go is missing useful features and sometimes just doesn't seem to work properly.  Am  I misusing the app in some way?  Problems  I've found since   changing  to Sky Go:

1,  In the  Sky app, I could see and manage my downloads (e.g. delete a recording that  I've watched).  I've not found a  way to do this in Sky Go.

Do you have the multiroom subscription as you need this to connect to your box or you do on Sky Q 

2. I can select a program to download,  but if I change my mind, there seems to be no way to deselect it. Nevder noticed before but once you select download and start it then there is no way to stop it 

Just noticed that once selecting and starting the download there is no way to cancel or stop the download

3. The red R  that signifies something is to be recorded is very hit-and-miss.  If I record a  series,  the R usually shows up for the first program in the series, the one  I  have just requested.  It doesn't show up for any future installments, so I keep requesting the same programs.  I sometimes get a red R on random programs that I am certain I haven't requested to download.

Never tried recording series on the app but if its like the recording on the Q box then it won't show a R on the future recording until the first one has started recording

4.  The rows in the TV guide  move independently and (seemingly)  randomly.    So when  I think I'm looking at,  say 20:00 to  22:00,  some channels will be showing an earlier or later schedule.

Not noticed this 

5. What's with BBC1?  I get that it's moving to  HD only.  Fine.  But why then is the SD channel presented at the top of the TV guide?  This means I often record  BBC1  programs in SD and then have the message about moving to HD  covering half the screen.   Also, why must I switch to the  Record tab in order to even see  BBC1?

Whilst at home mine shows the BBC1 HD channel at position 1 but as it's always done whden away from home the SD channels are where the HD channels are it's something we have asked to be changed on numerous occasions

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
SueI22
Topic Author

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I  had lost patience with the app when I posted.  I think part of the problem is that I have switched from Sky + to Sky Q.  I'm still getting used to the differences.  See below ...

Do you have the multiroom subscription as you need this to connect to your box or you do on Sky Q 

>>>It is  Sky Q. 

2. I can select a program to download,  but if I change my mind, there seems to be no way to deselect it. Nevder noticed before but once you select download and start it then there is no way to stop it 

Just noticed that once selecting and starting the download there is no way to cancel or stop the download

>>> Which is quite annoying, but not the end of the world,  I  guess.  Can always delete it from  Q  box.

Never tried recording series on the app but if its like the recording on the Q box then it won't show a R on the future recording until the first one has started recording.

>>>Another annoyance,  but maybe not  such a problem on Q as it  would  have been  on my old Sky + box.

Not noticed this 

>>> It definitely happens on my Samsung tablet.

Whilst at home mine shows the BBC1 HD channel at position 1 but as it's always done whden away from home the SD channels are where the HD channels are it's something we have asked to be changed on numerous occasions

>>>Seems like a  no  brainer  to  put the HD channel at  top. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion