Discussion topic: Sky go desktop app not working on windows

This message was authored by Rolo This message was authored by: Rolo

Sky go desktop app not working on windows

Have downloaded the SkyGo desktop app for windows intop my laptop and when trying to run it says 'checking for updates' which seems to be fine and then it just gets stuck wirth the big play button on the screen, this just stays there and doesn't load any further.

I have uninstalled and re-installed multiple times, made sure all updates for the PC are installed and restarted the PC multiple times as well but the same issue keeps happening and I cannot use the SkyGo app!!

For such a large company and for what it costs the fact that there are so many errors with SkyGo and the quality is so poor really isn't good at all!!

FYI I have also tried some other methods I've seen on some other threads on here but nothing seems to work or do the trick...

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Sky go desktop app not working on windows

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rolo 

FYI I have also tried some other methods I've seen on some other threads on here but nothing seems to work or do the trick...

What have you tried, have you tried uninstalling the app and the hidden files and folders it uses ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Rolo
Topic Author

I have trying uninstalling the app but not the hidden folders and files part. How would I go about doing that?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Uninstall the Sky Go app and then go to 'C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming (ensure hidden files/folders are visible) and delete the following folders:

Sky
Sky Go

And if it is present the Cisco and/or Synamedia folder in App\Data\LocalLow.
Empty your recycle bin.

Reboot your PC and then download and install the Sky Go app again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Karen0201 This message was authored by: Karen0201

I have had the same issue and followed your instructions but the app still does not work. Do you have any other suggestions? It checks for updates, suggests it is downloading updates then leaves a blue screen with a play button until I close the app. 

This message was authored by Mickey-Padge This message was authored by: Mickey-Padge

Same issue....

This message was authored by rossidog This message was authored by: rossidog

Same issue, the service is absolutely dreadful & Sky treat their customers with utter contempt

I'm cancelling my whole package

This message was authored by Mickey-Padge This message was authored by: Mickey-Padge

Yup, the silence is defening from Sky. Both my computers have this same problem, the app just shows a giant play button and nothing else happens. The app must be total spaghetti code....

Rolo
Topic Author

@caesarome 

Thanks for the advice and trying to help but I did all of what you suggested and it still didn't work. 

Deleted every file (visible or hidden) with a mention of Sky, Sky Go, Now TV or Synamedia etc and still not working

This message was authored by RG43 This message was authored by: RG43

To add to the thread - exactly the same experience. Stopped working about 6 weeks ago. Tried deleting and reinstalling. Tried deleting the folders as per the advice and still get the error PFE4002 message. Click to accept cookies, switches to the "Downloading update" screen and then just closes.

This message was authored by stuart18 This message was authored by: stuart18

same app not working whats the point

This message was authored by Petesmit This message was authored by: Petesmit

I have been using SkyGo on a windows 11 PC with no real probelems for months now....until I decided I wanted to replace my Hard Drive with an SSD (Solid State Drive) at the same time i did a clean install of Windows 11 onto the SSD and now SkyGo will not work. It loads, looks for updates and then just freezes on the blue screen with the white arrow. I have uninstalled; reinstalled countless times but still no joy. The only conclusion therefore is that its something to do with the version of Windows ()Windows 11 Pro Build 22621.2361 ) though I should also mention in case of relevance that I have also renewed my Norton 360 very recently too. Clearly not the only one with this issue will be emailing the Chief exec later

This message was authored by Maglshaun This message was authored by: Maglshaun

I had the same issue with my Dell Windows 11 PC. Tried everything and still no luck. I then purchased a brand new HP Windows 11 PC and have the same issue.

I contacted Sky who have raised a ticket - "2944595269" - and will apparently contact with any updates.

if I hear anything I will post on this thread.

This message was authored by Kdog53 This message was authored by: Kdog53

I had an issue were the app wouldn't even open for me. I'm assuming there's some app that conflicts with the Sky Go app. I simply added a new windows user and installed the app on that login(so its like fresh windows start up and only the essental apps are installed). The app works fine now on that user. 

This message was authored by Maglshaun This message was authored by: Maglshaun

Hi Kdog53

I created a new user on my Windows 11 PC, downloaded the App to that user and installed.

Hey Presto it works - thanks so much for your advice.

Probably worth noting that the App still fails to load in the original Windows 11 User.

Have tried so many other recommended fixes without success....

Well done!!!!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion