Discussion topic: Sky Go won’t run on Windows 10 laptop?

This message was authored by Na5 This message was authored by: Na5

Sky Go won’t run on Windows 10 laptop?

I've freed up an extra 30 GB of storage, spent 3 updating everything I can on the laptop including all the drivers, deleted and reinstalled the app about 30 times, run it as administrator, troubleshooted compatibility (and tried out every option), and created a new user account just to see if that would work - and every time it says it refuses to get past the loading screen with the white arrow. Does anyone know what's going on with this app?

All Replies

Na5
Topic Author

Re: Sky Go won’t run on Windows 10 laptop?

*Spent 3 days haha

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Na5 

Installing using 'Run as Administrator' typically dumps the executable into the Administrator local profile which the regular user account cannot reach.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Na5
Topic Author

Then do you know what needs to be done to get the app to work?

This message was authored by popacatapetal This message was authored by: popacatapetal

This message was authored by popacatapetal This message was authored by: popacatapetal

Apologies for some missing info in my earlier post.

You need to install the app using a user account with admin rights

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@popacatapetal 

I believe it also works with a user account without Admin privileges, specifically because the installer puts files into a local profile folder.  What breaks it is doing the right thing and using elevated privileges...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Na5
Topic Author

I've made another user account and made sure it has admin rights, but the exact same thing is happening again, and the app still won't open. Is there anything else that might get it to work?

Na5
Topic Author

For me it hasn't been working for either. Is there any way to tell what's going wrong with it?

This message was authored by KathyDe This message was authored by: KathyDe

It was working fine for years on my Windows 10 laptop..  30/31 March 2024 it stopped working all of a sudden after an update.  I see no way to roll back an update.  Have tried removing and resintalling more than once.  Still just stills there with the blue screen and  hangs with the white arrow.  Nothing happens.  Still works fine on my tablet, but would prefer the laptop version; and no, I don't have Cisco installed.

I've read through all the replies on this issue going back many years, and the only advice I can see is remove and reinstall.  Clearly this isn't working for most people.  It's annoying I'm paying for something that doesn't work properly.

@Skyneeds to put out official documentation on how it's going to fix this issue.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion