Discussion topic: Sky Go not working in Spain - Irish customer

This message was authored by Ctd11 This message was authored by: Ctd11

Sky Go not working in Spain - Irish customer

I have been using Sky Go on a PS4 for years to watch Sky when in Spain on holiday.  It's stopped working due to UK streaming issues. But I am an irish customer in the EU, not a UK customer. Is there a work around here or is this functionality gone for good for Irish customers even though we are still in the EU?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky Go not working in Spain - Irish customer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ctd11 wrote:

Hi - from reading other posts my best guess is that as we have been here more than 30 days it's blocked us out.

Yes, that would do it.  Interestingly although the intention of the EU Regulation is 'temporary' portability, it's the provider that defines a time limit.

Is there a limitation in time? What will happen if a person lives in one country and works in another on a daily basis?

The portability regulation covers situations in which subscribers are temporarily abroad. This term is not defined in the Regulation. However, what is meant by this is to be present in a Member State other than the Member State of residence. It covers various scenarios including holidays and business trips.

The new rules do not set any limits for the use of the portability feature, as long as the user resides in another Member State. Service providers should inform their subscribers of the exact conditions of their portability offers.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/MEMO_18_2601 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

While it should work there have been posts previously from Ireland based customers who have had similar issues when in Europe. No idea what causes it but other than returning home I'm not sure if anyway you will be able to get it fixed while you are out there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Ctd11
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ctd11 This message was authored by: Ctd11

Hi - from reading other posts my best guess is that as we have been here more than 30 days it's blocked us out. When we go home shortly it will work again (we assume). That said, the error message is contradictory  - it talks about UK customers and the post brexit issues.  One customer theory is that when you are blocked, the default error message is a UK generic one.  Interested to see if Sky can confirm that this is the case.

You are right about the 30 day one as you can only use it up to this time so if it was working prior to that then this bill why it has happened. Not sure why you are seeing the brexit message as you should be seeing a message explaining this. I believe you should also had a message a few days ago saying you were getting close to the 30 days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Ctd11 wrote:

Hi - from reading other posts my best guess is that as we have been here more than 30 days it's blocked us out.

Yes, that would do it.  Interestingly although the intention of the EU Regulation is 'temporary' portability, it's the provider that defines a time limit.

Is there a limitation in time? What will happen if a person lives in one country and works in another on a daily basis?

The portability regulation covers situations in which subscribers are temporarily abroad. This term is not defined in the Regulation. However, what is meant by this is to be present in a Member State other than the Member State of residence. It covers various scenarios including holidays and business trips.

The new rules do not set any limits for the use of the portability feature, as long as the user resides in another Member State. Service providers should inform their subscribers of the exact conditions of their portability offers.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/MEMO_18_2601 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Gaviota This message was authored by: Gaviota

I have been in Spain ONLY TWO DAYS and SkyGo doen't work.  It did on previous visits.  The Sky site links Spain as one area where the app will work for Republic of Ireland customers.  Not so!  What is worse is that there is no way of contacting Sky.  Virtual help is useless.  Sky needs to take their customers a little more seriously.

Referring queries to an online community is strange.  Imagine if your TV didn't work and the shop told you to go and talk to the customers grouped around the door.  Come on Sky,  Get the app fixed.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Gaviota wrote:

I have been in Spain ONLY TWO DAYS and SkyGo doen't work.  It did on previous visits.  The Sky site links Spain as one area where the app will work for Republic of Ireland customers.  Not so!  What is worse is that there is no way of contacting Sky.  Virtual help is useless.  Sky needs to take their customers a little more seriously.

Referring queries to an online community is strange.  Imagine if your TV didn't work and the shop told you to go and talk to the customers grouped around the door.  Come on Sky,  Get the app fixed.

When was the last time you used Sky Go in ROI?

A long time ago but used SkyQ box a few days ago. 

Then that will be your issue @Gaviota as you can only use Sky Go in Europe for at mist 30 days before the device itself has to be used again back in Ireland before being able to use it in Europe again.

That would not make much good technological sense.

I appreciate that there may be regulations about temporary portability.

Why would I have need to use the SkyGo app at home when all the channels are available there?

I assume it is Sky that is blocking my usage of the app.  Yet they have my last used IP address for access to their services (via Sky Q box) and that is in ROI and from a few days ago.

Whatever the technological muddle, if I could contact SKY I am sure they would find a way to unblock me.  There's not much point sending me constant reminders that I'm a VIP customer when I can't get normal customer service.  Not a very happy customer at this point in time.

I do appreciate your comments by the way.

Taken from here:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/viewing-sky-content-in-the-eu-faqs-roi

If you’ve been watching Sky abroad for more than 30 days, you’ll need to watch again in the ROI to regain access to watch abroad, as we need to check you’re still a resident.

Nobody will unblock you i'm afraid.

Makes perfect sense to me, this stops people who live abroad from accessing Sky Go permanently

Makes no difference that you used Sky Q recently as that usage cannot be used to determine the last time Sky Go was used in your home country

Thank you @Caesarome and @Annie+K 

My point is that Sky should not need to rely on last time I used the app.  They have a record of the last time I used their service in ROI.    That should be sufficient and in fact more in line with the spirit of temporary portability.  At the very least SKY should provide me with a way to sort out this blockage.  Apparently they don't.

Maybe it's time to seek a different provider.

@Gaviota wrote:

Thank you @Caesarome and @Annie+K 

My point is that Sky should not need to rely on last time I used the app.  They have a record of the last time I used their service in ROI.    That should be sufficient and in fact more in line with the spirit of temporary portability.  At the very least SKY should provide me with a way to sort out this blockage.  Apparently they don't.

Maybe it's time to seek a different provider.

They have a record that someone used your service in the ROI, how can they tie that to your Sky Go usage?

Somebody using your Sky Q box in Ireland doesn't come into it with the Sky Go app as it the app itself that has to be used in Ireland and not anything else on your account.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion