Discussion topic: Network setting preventing download of content

This message was authored by CrashEd1664 This message was authored by: CrashEd1664

Re: Network setting preventing download of content

I think I've found a solution, although I'm not terribly happy with it.

If you go to Settings> Mail> Privacy Protection   and disable all of the options (including Hide IP address) it seems to fix it. I relly don't like this as a solution, so I've turned Sky Shield back on for now. It seems to work ok with Shiled back on. 

I had these setting switched on with my old provider (Virgin) without any issues.  

This message was authored by Paisley+Buddies This message was authored by: Paisley+Buddies

My issue is that I never made any changes to either phone or iPad settings , yet this now happens on phone but not iPad, and previously neither were affected. 🤷‍♂️
also my wife had no issue on different models of iPad or iPhone 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Might be the result of an Apple software update, perhaps.

This message was authored by CrashEd1664 This message was authored by: CrashEd1664

That's a good shout. Try updating everything to the latest version and then adjust the mail setting as per my post above. See if that sorts it. 

If I switch to my mobile data it loads mail data and images just fine, regardless of the settings. Also, mail via the web loads data fine over the WiFi, so it must be some odd combination of Sky and Apple Mail that doesn't work well together. 

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@CrashEd1664 wrote:

it must be some odd combination of Sky and Apple Mail that doesn't work well together. 

If you check around the forum, there are lots of people finding that. The exact cause has not been pinned down yet.

Has anyone actually contacted SKy about it??

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Both Sky and Apple have been informed, however as it is an Apple app it would be then that would need to look into it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Well, it works without issue on most other providers' WIFI that I've use recently, so it can't just be an Apple issue. 

@CrashEd1664 wrote:

Have you ever tried contacting Sky about an email problem? 

It would be a complete waste of time.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Who knows, at least there are alternative app providers that work with Sky email, like the Outlook email app.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

@jayach wrote:

@CrashEd1664 wrote:

Have you ever tried contacting Sky about an email problem? 

It would be a complete waste of time.

It's not an email problem, it's the fact that data is being blocked by the provider (Sky). The fact that I can control this via the app settings proves this. However, turning these settings off is not desirable as they are there to protect your IP address and therefore your data. As I've said previously, never had any issues until moving to Sky. 

@CrashEd1664 wrote:

It's not an email problem, it's the fact that data is being blocked by the provider (Sky). The fact that I can control this via the app settings proves this. However, turning these settings off is not desirable as they are there to protect your IP address and therefore your data. As I've said previously, never had any issues until moving to Sky. 

And yet, it's only happening with the Apple Mail app. That makes it an (Apple) email problem in my book.

But only when used with Sky Broadband lol. 

This is probably why it's never been fixed. The issue could be due to either party and is likely to never get fixed. Nobody will admit responsibility for it. 

This message was authored by RichandAnge This message was authored by: RichandAnge

Just had the same issue after enabling Sky shield for the first time. Never had any issues with email (mail on apple iPhone) in the years being with sky. Have logged into sky shield and have now used the custom option to remove phishing and malware and Anon, file sharing & hacking and all now seems ok again. I don't get the "network issues prevent content" on all my emails that contain images and images now load instantly again. Hope this helps someone?

This message was authored by Shermy31 This message was authored by: Shermy31

Had the same problem with my parents set up but one iphone was working and another one wasn't! After some trying I think it's working.

1. turn sky shield off

2. Turn mail protection on iPhone on

3. Turn sky shield back on.

the order that they are turned on seems to affect whether it works or not, if you have shield on and then enable mail protection it doesn't work.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion